• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: Pro (Hi-eff) woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a pair of LF drivers with the following characteristics:

• fs < 40Hz (lower the better)
  • dB/1W/1M > 96 (higher the better)
  • Qts ~= .3 (give or take, within reason)
  • $ < 100/pair incl. shipping
  • fully functional
  • able to crossover at at least 800Hz, preferably 1200Hz
Basically, a driver for a large (~4-6 cu. ft.) BR cabinet to be mated with a compression driver on an Altec 511B via an active crossover.

e.g.:
Dayton PA380-8 <== hint hint :cool:
Eminence
MCM

I have a pair of McCauley M1520 15"ers if interested. Not sure they go much lower than 45 Hz free resonance though. These will be $200 for the pair or a cool trade will take them. They are heavy as hell

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
So, basically, to recap- you're looking for a 15" woofer that will give around 96dB sensitivity in a 4-6 cubic foot cabinet? With those parameters, you can reasonably expect about a 36 Hz f3 point, with a vented box (6 cubic feet- for smaller box, you'd have a higher f3 or lower sensitivity).

If you're expecting more low bass extension than this, you either need to accept a larger box, or lower sensitivity. Hoffman's Iron law is, well... iron.

Regards,
Gordon.

The box is a function of the driver. I need to define the driver to determine what the box is. Yes, an f3 of 36Hz is roughly what I expect to get.

I'm living with Cornwalls now, so a box > 6 cu. ft. isn't a concern.

Are you suggesting a different route? I'm pretty set on a two-way configuration.

I'm in the same boat. Two way with Altec 902 on CD waveguide and 15" woofer. I had a pair of JBL E140 and 12" waveguides so I built the cabinets around them but tuned for JBL 2226, now I can't find 2226s at a reasonable price...well I can but my wallet is unreasonably thin. I'm selling off everything I can. E140 sounds great but has very little output below 50Hz. I like bass.

I'm in the same boat. Two way with Altec 902 on CD waveguide and 15" woofer. I had a pair of JBL E140 and 12" waveguides so I built the cabinets around them but tuned for JBL 2226, now I can't find 2226s at a reasonable price...well I can but my wallet is unreasonably thin. I'm selling off everything I can. E140 sounds great but has very little output below 50Hz. I like bass.

I do've a JBL2226H and a 2225H and a RCF-L15P-200 that I'm planning to sell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.