*FREE* Sansui AU-517 Integrated Amp Coffs Harbour NSW - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2012, 04:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default *FREE* Sansui AU-517 Integrated Amp Coffs Harbour NSW

Hi All,

Last year I put a call out on a local freecycle forum chasing up a 70's or 80's amplifier in non working order so that I could gut it and fill the void with a LM3876 chimp amp. I had one respondant who offered me their dead Sansui AU-517. When I cracked this baby open I could only sit there in awe of the layout and workmanship of this once beautiful piece of electronics. I couldn't bring myself to destroy something this nice.

So I am offering to the forum, this amp, again for FREE!

There is a catch though...... It's dead! But you already knew that. The power supply caps are bulged, the wiring has dissolved (from the dodgy glue that sansui used), one of the output transistors has been replaced with a non original unit (not by me). The other catch is that it is pickup only and I live in Coffs Harbour. I am not really interested in taking it to a post office or freight depot, especially as it is bloody heavy. Coffs Harbour is roughly halfway between Sydney and Brisbane, you may know someone that comes through this way regularly or similar.

As I said, totally free, but if you do have a small old amp that no longer works and was never really any good then I would happily take that as a swap!

pm me, email me ben2007 @ benandmichelle.net if you are interested!
Old 9th April 2012, 06:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is a pic of the amp. If you want any more pics I can provide, eg of power supply caps etc.

Ben

IMGP0374 (Large).JPG
Old 9th April 2012, 06:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Email sent
Old 9th April 2012, 06:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi again
Email failed saying no user at that address.
I removed the spaces, did I need to do more?
Otherwise, please contact me via PM.
Cheers
Old 9th April 2012, 06:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi, I don;t know what happened there - the email sent by diyaudio forumbot telling me there was a reply came through! PM sent
Old 9th April 2012, 01:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Lovely amp... I think my father-in-law has it (19" including radio and tapedeck) and my brother owns its bigger brother...

I'm trying to cut back on collecting stuff AND I'm too far away, otherwise I'd be all over it...
Old 14th April 2012, 02:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ben, Giver your head a shake! lol. These amps are an easy fix and the caps are inexpensive as are the transistors. IMHO nothing "New" less than $1500 comes close especially in the low end. You will see some people saying that it isnt warm, well those units they have need CAPS I had 2 Realistic Mach Ones connected to mine and stuff was falling over from the bass lol. Spend 20-30 dollars and about an hr of your time and get her ripping once again. Replace the main caps and the output transistors with High grade replacements . You will be blown away at the end result. I am in Toronto Canada and I am not coming over anytime soon

Hide this!Advertise here!