• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FOR SALE: Peter Daniel designed gainclones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,535
Peter,

Great looking amps. I wonder if yoo have tried putting the filter caps and bridge on the other side of the center shield ? It might make it even quieter. It was a great idea to have the ac in at one end and the audio in/outs at the other.

Regards,
Jam

mFinalHeaven said:
Holy crap, those are some nice looking amps you guys got there. I haven't been keeping track of the chip amp forum much. WOW!! Can you guys tell me where you guys get the parts to make the case so nice like that or is it in some thread or link somewhere. thanks.

Both amps were built by hand using old method of tries and errors. The only tools used were drill press, belt sander and band saw. The parts used are standard size flat bars 2 x 0.5 and 3 x 0.25 and aluminum square tubing. Some insight can be found in this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3981&highlight=

jam said:
Peter,

Great looking amps. I wonder if yoo have tried putting the filter caps and bridge on the other side of the center shield ? It might make it even quieter. It was a great idea to have the ac in at one end and the audio in/outs at the other.

Regards,
Jam
If anything would be on transformer's side, it would be bridges, but then the assembly would be more complicated. I like the simplicity of connecting caps to bridge PCB by using caps' leads. One way to avoid interference was shielding the chip with copper bar, which also improve heat dissipation. The caps have to be right by the chip, for better performance. Everything is attached by O-ring rubber and some double sided tape on bottom (the type used in stores for security sensor devices). This way the coupling is soft and less vibration transfered to the capacitors and the chip. The copper bar acts as one big damper and rests directly on a cone, which further improves vibration control.

The brass bar, which acts as rear footing has tremendous influence on sound. I tried to add neoprene pads and the sound changed substantially.

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,072
Peter, your monoblock design is impressive as hell. Makes me wanna do away with my Apogees and use normal speakers instead. The Totem Model 1 Signatures were magical when driven with your original gainclones. Makes me wanna go for five of these Totems with five of your monoblocks. Is it possible to put five copper subassemblies/five transformers in one case and get a five channel gainclone multichannel amp?

Peter, thanks for the options. I will think about it. But I really start to like the idea of five Totems driven by five monoblocks. Would be nice if each monoblock could be encased in Ripac Cassettes as on the pic. These could be inserted in a rackcase, as Mark Levinson did with his Cello gear.

Attachments

• ripac cassettes.jpg
    ripac cassettes.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 621
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.