ELNA FOR AUDIO 10.000UF 80V - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2012, 12:07 PM   #51
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK I've just done the capacitance test. Charge time was 97 seconds, which equates to a capacitance of 9700uF, which is well within typical +- 20% for electrolytics. in fact that is -3% which is very good.

So despite its relatively small physical size this cap is definitely a 10,000uF cap. So there is nothing wrong with that spec.

The dimensions of the cap are 35mm diameter and 50mm high (body height not counting the leads). This cornel Dublier datasheet has 10,000uF 80V caps with dimensions of 35 D X 45 mm H so there is nothing magical about it's dimensions (ie a cap of this physical size can have this capacitance and voltage rating).

I'm not too keen to try and rig up a high voltage supply to test it in smoothing duties at close to it's rated voltage. I only have a dual winding 45V AC transformer which would give around 63V rectified.

So my conclusion at this stage is.

The cap certainly meets the capacitance specification. It is low ESR, so it should be good for power supply duty.

I can't say one way or another whether it meets its voltage specification, but it is certainly physically possible that it will.

The end cap has a vent which looks like an Elna vent. This sample looks a little less than perfect but that could be a manufacturing glitch.

I can't say for certain it is, or it isn't a genuine Elna Cap. But it does appear to be good quality.

If anyone would like to suggest any other tests that I could do please speak up I'm a bit time pressed at the moment but I will see what I can do.

Tony.
Old 15th March 2012, 12:59 PM   #52
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

did you check the discharge time?

Leakage current will corrupt your results.
By doing both a charge and a discharge comparison you can estimate the leakage current and thereby determine the actual "charging" current. From there you can check the capacitance.

That's the way a 555 timer set to deliver sawtooth to a cap is used to determine an approximate capacitance.

I don't know how a DMM does it.
Old 15th March 2012, 01:03 PM   #53
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Andrew, no I didn't do a discharge test. I assume for that I need to charge up to full capacity first. I'm pretty sure I read the procedure, I'll look it up and do tomorrow if I get the chance.

Tony.
Old 15th March 2012, 01:07 PM   #54
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Reform the cap first.
Do it slowly to get the best and most even dielectric film.

If the leakage current is zero, the charge and discharge times should be the same. In practice they will differ, discharge quicker than charge using the identical source sink current.
Old 16th March 2012, 03:13 AM   #55
just another
diyAudio Moderator

ok thanks Andrew. I'll have to read up on reforming caps, but I suspect I don't have a high enough voltage source to do it properly.

So I charge the cap to full capacity and time discharge down to 37% capacity, which should be close to the time to charge up to 63% capacity from empty.

Thanks,

Tony.
Old 16th March 2012, 03:33 AM   #56
Pocoyo is offline Pocoyo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

thank you for all test you done tony

i hope those caps is ok
i need to replace old caps on pro amps

best regards, jeffry
Old 16th March 2012, 01:54 PM   #57
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
ok thanks Andrew. I'll have to read up on reforming caps, but I suspect I don't have a high enough voltage source to do it properly.

So I charge the cap to full capacity and time discharge down to 37% capacity, which should be close to the time to charge up to 63% capacity from empty.

Thanks,

Tony.
I'm going to use one of these to reform the 12000/63 caps from Pocoyo's other listing. Note the 105VAC max source, might be a problem for you. I have a 90VAC source so it is not for me.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

If the date on the 10000/80 is correct at 2011, then there is no need to reform these caps.
Old 16th March 2012, 01:59 PM   #58
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

^i use high resistances >10kohms in series with the cap to be reformed

my voltage source is about 75volts dc unloaded, in one set of japanese computer grade caps i reformed, the rating on the label says 56000ufd/63 volts, voltage was up to 75 with very very negligible current.....
Old 16th March 2012, 02:15 PM   #59
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

I was going to mount 4 caps on the $1 power supply pcb Pocoyo was selling with the 12000/63 caps and place 22K/2W resistors in place of each of the rectifiers. That setup should get me reforming caps 4 at a time. Also, an in-line ammeter to measure leakage current once I get up to voltage, but I'm not quite sure that part will work. The higher leakage current from the 4 caps should help the accuracy of results if it does. I will post photos of my setup and results on the 12000/63 thread. So far, those caps have measured spot on as to capacitance and quite low in esr. A super bargain.

Last edited by DreadPirate; 16th March 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 16th March 2012, 02:29 PM   #60
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

this is how i reformed some caps....

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!