ELNA FOR AUDIO 10.000UF 80V - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2012, 04:31 AM   #41
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Tony, I would send it, but I don't think its left yet. I think Pocoyo will probably send it to you.
Old 3rd March 2012, 04:37 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

I would almost guarantee they are identical to the ones I got - they look exactly the same - and test fine
Old 3rd March 2012, 04:37 AM   #43
Pocoyo is offline Pocoyo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Luke

You didnt give me your address
so how can i ...
Old 3rd March 2012, 07:25 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocoyo View Post
Hi Luke

You didnt give me your address
so how can i ...
Because you might have my address from my last parcel of goodies
Old 3rd March 2012, 07:37 AM   #45
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I've done some experiments on measuring actual capacitance. I can reliably measure 1000uF caps using a 220uH coil in parallel. Get a nice impedance peak that can show pretty closely the value of the cap.

However when I move to 10,000 uF the resonant peak's impedance drops by a factor of 10 and it is too low for me to pick it up. I'm not sure if I can wind a low enough esr coil to do the measurement. Ironically the 330uH ones I made for my crossover may be ok but I'm not about to desolder those, and I'm not sure I want to wind another one.

Using the passive component measurement in speaker workshop is no good. 1000uF measures as about 550uF and 10,000uF measures as 1200uF

You might want to hold off sending pocoyo until I can say yay or nay as to whether I can get a decent measurement.

Tony.
Old 4th March 2012, 02:07 AM   #46
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK I've just done an RC time constant test on a 1,000uF elna silmic II and on a 10,000uF Nichicon KG 35V cap.

The circuit consists of a 0.1% 10K resistor switched so that it iether shorts the cap to ground via the 10K resistor or connects it to +10V (regulated supply). with voltmeter across the cap.

The switch is thrown and stopwatch started. Stopwatch is stopped when the meter reads 6.3V.

The 10K resistor is a bit low for the 1000uF cap but I used it for the initial test. time taken was 11.5 seconds which equates to 1150 uF (or about 10% over) spec there may be some delay in the on/off of the stopwatch so the results for the 10,000uF are more accurate because it takes a lot longer to get there.

The time for the 10,000 uF cap was 104 seconds, which equates to 10,400 uF.

So I think I can safely measure the capacitance. I can also potentially do some other tests (other than the ESR test with my meter) if I read up on them.

Tony.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:21 PM   #47
GloBug is offline GloBug  Canada
Banned

Good for you.
Old 8th March 2012, 10:41 AM   #48
Pocoyo is offline Pocoyo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

hi

very sorry for late reply
im out of city for office work
i posted the caps on last monday
to wintermute address

thank you, best regards
Old 14th March 2012, 10:52 AM   #49
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Pocoyo, the cap arrived today The only test I have done as yet is the esr test and it was the same as the two other Nichicon 10,000uF caps I have. basically a zero reading. Tonight though both the 35V nichicon and the Cap you have sent me, fluctuated between a reading of 0.00 and 0.01. so the esr may be somewhere between 0.005 and 0.01. If I get a chance I may take my meter into a local electronics store and try measuring the esr of a generic brand 10,000 uF cap for comparison

The other "test" that I did was to measure the weight of the cap. it is 68g The 35V nichicon KG weighs 26g The 80V nichicon KG weighs more than 100g (my scale only goes to 100g).

Pictures attached.

1st The Elna for audio cap is in the middle between the 80V nichicon KG and the 35V nichicon KG, as you can see there is a big difference in the size, but the 80V nichicon is a big cap!

2nd pic is a comparison of the ends of an elna silmic II and the cap under test. You can see two small dents in the cap, I assume these occurred during shipping. The creases in the end cap do not look 100% even on the cap under test, the grooves look like they have been scored rather than punched maybe. I'm not sure if that is significant or not.

Anyway It is getting a bit late so I think I will leave the capacitance test until tomorrow.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0495.jpg (162.3 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0498.jpg (105.5 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0504.jpg (137.0 KB, 299 views)
Old 14th March 2012, 09:30 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

If it looks like a duck....:-)

Hide this!Advertise here!