ELNA FOR AUDIO 10.000UF 80V - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2012, 10:31 PM   #31
Plundering the Planet From the Comfort of Home
diyAudio Member

It is always possible someone is rewrapping the LA5 to get a few more bucks as a "FOR AUDIO". You would still get the right capacitance and a pretty good esr. From looking at datasheets, the audio caps seem to always be larger than other equivalently rated caps. Of course, that is just a suspicion, no facts to back up saying the caps are or aren't what they appear to be.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:57 PM   #32
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst2duk View Post
I have a bunch of these I bought off ebay - just tested them using an Atlas ESR70+ tester - they come up as .02ohm ESR and 10050 capacitance. I've used them in several power supplies without any issues - if that's any help. They may be a bargain ? - I may even buy some off you Pocoyo
sounds like they are the real deal to me. What is the latest date of available datasheet, these caps are quite new so its possible that the data sheet is not upto date?
I may buy some too.
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:17 AM   #33
Pocoyo is offline Pocoyo  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirate View Post
It is always possible someone is rewrapping the LA5 to get a few more bucks as a "FOR AUDIO". You would still get the right capacitance and a pretty good esr. From looking at datasheets, the audio caps seem to always be larger than other equivalently rated caps. Of course, that is just a suspicion, no facts to back up saying the caps are or aren't what they appear to be.
i looks rewrapping caps industry here
they cant make metalic and rewrapping is not perfect
the rewrapping cant wrap good in the back of caps
and the letter sometimes washed out

if someone rewrapping caps here they rewrapping from china caps
sometimes identify by black shield in the back of caps
but they didnt rewrapping the exotic caps cause a little buyer
usually they rewrapping blue elna, black nippon chem for industry

i will try it in my amplifier, change supply with this elna
hope it is works better and sound good

thank you, best regards
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:25 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst2duk View Post
I have a bunch of these I bought off ebay - just tested them using an Atlas ESR70+ tester - they come up as .02ohm ESR and 10050 capacitance. I've used them in several power supplies without any issues - if that's any help. They may be a bargain ? - I may even buy some off you Pocoyo
hi luke & ajst2duk

i can measure capacitance of the caps
i have the caps meter

but how to measure the ohm esr ?
just move the point of meter to OHM ?

thank you, best regards
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:36 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocoyo View Post
hi luke & ajst2duk

i can measure capacitance of the caps
i have the caps meter

but how to measure the ohm esr ?
just move the point of meter to OHM ?

thank you, best regards
No that wont do it - you either need to build a circuit that measures ESR or buy a tester that measures it
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:43 AM   #36
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Pocoyo You need an ESR meter to measure the ESR of the caps. I have one. Luke if you want to send the cap to me when you are done I can measure the ESR.

I don't have a capacitance meter that can measure that high though. I could however try speaker workshop (I'm not sure if it can measure a cap that big). If it can't I can parallel the cap and a known value coil and work out the capacitance from the resonant peak (to within a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Tony.
Old 3rd March 2012, 02:46 AM   #37
just another
diyAudio Moderator

glowbug, whilst it is true that there are problems with fakes from Asian countries please do not tar everyone with the same brush. It is most certainly the case that manufacturers can get special runs made, and these do not appear in the datasheets. As to how people would come across these "special order" caps though is not clear (if they are in fact genuine). One of the black market tricks is that workers at the factories that make the genuine items, do "off the record" extra production runs, which are sold on the black market. I'm not necessarily talking about electronics here either. I've been told that the best fakes are actually the real thing (just not officially).

Tony.
Old 3rd March 2012, 04:58 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Hi wintermute

luke said before that he didnt have esr meter so the test will not maximal
i can send it to you, please pm me your address

thank you for the attention, best regards
Old 3rd March 2012, 05:12 AM   #39
just another
diyAudio Moderator

PM sent. I was thinking if Luke was willing he could send me the one you sent him, but if you wish to send me another one that is fine I can also compare against a nichicon KG 10,000uF 80V cap. Actually perhaps I should measure one of those first to make sure the meter has enough resolution to check it!

OK the 10,000uF 80V Nichicon KG measures 0.00 ohms (the meter only has two digits of precision) so it is effectively 0.009 or lower. I also measured a 10,000uF KG 35V and that also measures 0.00. A 1,000uF 50V panasonic FC is fluctuating between 0.02 and 0.03 ohms. and a 1,000uF 35V elna silmic II is around 0.03 - 0.04 ohms.

Wait to see what others think about the measurements before sending one off my meter is a blue esr. It's primary purpose is to identify faulty electro's because of high esr, I'm not sure of its accuracy for very low esr measurements. I unfortunately don't have any big (cheap) caps to compare against.

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 3rd March 2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: add test of nichicon.
Old 3rd March 2012, 05:28 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Hi Pocoyo,

I can do the open test and take photos, but Dredpirate has a good point regarding it not proving as much as a capacitance test. I don't have a meter. I think a friend may have one. Ill let you know. Otherwise, perhaps another forum member can help?
Hi Wintermute

i have not send the caps to luke cause of this
so i still send 1 caps

Hide this!Advertise here!