• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: Sony Playstation 1-SCPH 1002.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not always an SCPH-1002!

Hi,
Just a warning to you eBayers seeking the Sony PS1 with the AKM chip. eBay is providing default information for sellers of Sony PS1s. Unfortunately these defaults often include the SCPH-1002 model code, even when the model is definitely not that. I have spotted at least half a dozen over recent months and even been mislead twice in my own purchases.
The best way to take the risk out of the purchase is to check with the seller that the PS1 in question has two chromium phono connectors at the rear. Alternatively a photo of the model badge on the underneath would, but for me, I trust the phono connectors.
Right now I have 4 of the SCPH-1002 models, but that is because I make the dogbreath modifications and then eBay them. It's just a hobby but you do meet some interesting people... from all over Europe, to Malaysia, to Australia and lately the US(with a US-power supply).

George

10K resistor mod

George. I have found one of the most benficial tweaks is the 10k resistor mod to increase the output. I use a passive pre and this is essential to get the most out of the PS1.

Hi,
can you tell me more about this mod. I use my PS1 with a buffer .. no amplification..with a direct connection to the AKM DAC. More output would be interesting

George

Hi,
can you tell me more about this mod. I use my PS1 with a buffer .. no amplification..with a direct connection to the AKM DAC. More output would be interesting

George

I thought I had bookmarked the particular page from "that very long thread"!, but it appears not. It was a mod posted by Audio1st in 2008/2009. I only foind it by chance recently. I will try to locate it.

Rob.

EDIT: Just realised I saved the pic from Audio1st's post. The Dac op-amp is located under the main board (so you have to dismantle the whole thing (again). Remove the resistors marked 183 and replace with 10k for both. I managed to solder two qtr watt metal fim resistors in there by keeping the leads very short. You will note that the adjacent pads are linked which gives you more room to solder the non-SMD resistors. You will be amazed by the difference (well I was anyway)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Thanks

I thought I had bookmarked the particular page from "that very long thread"!, but it appears not. It was a mod posted by Audio1st in 2008/2009. I only foind it by chance recently. I will try to locate it.

Rob.

EDIT: Just realised I saved the pic from Audio1st's post. The Dac op-amp is located under the main board (so you have to dismantle the whole thing (again). Remove the resistors marked 183 and replace with 10k for both. I managed to solder two qtr watt metal fim resistors in there by keeping the leads very short. You will note that the adjacent pads are linked which gives you more room to solder the non-SMD resistors. You will be amazed by the difference (well I was anyway)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi,
I have a couple of disassembled PS1s on the bench... I shall give it a shot and report back....soonish

George

Can someone post a pic showing this AKM DAC?

Here it is ... quite easy to work on... but beware of solder spatter. Once spattered those pins are the devil to clean

George

Attachments

• outputstagephoto1.jpg
    outputstagephoto1.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 77
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.