• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Excel w15cy (x10), Peerless "XLS 8" (x4), LCY, EMU-1820M, TC2+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

Edit: http://vampiyer.imgur.com - PICTURES of w15cy, LCY, Peerless, E-MU. I didn't want to rob the forum of bandwidth, and "imgur" >> imageshack. No popups.

All prices assume continental USA shipping, and are "OBO" - "Or Best Offer."
I've sold items on this forum in the past (some UcD amp modules / other)

Tested and un-used (sat in a box in my closet):

[1 pair SOLD, possibly 1 Pending] -Seas Excel w15cy (magnesium) = 10 drivers (5 pairs): $185 shipped per pair; - Edit: these do not have the rubber boot on the magnet. Most of the w15cy001 drivers seem to exhibit their normal cone breakup at ~8.3khz. At least one batch has the breakup at about 6.2Khz. I'll be trying to generate an impedance curve to determine which variety I have, but my woofer tester is either broken, or requires calibration.

Update 02/02/12: My Woofer Tester is not working at all [Either broken or doesn't like Win7 or Win7 compatibility mode or my sound card. But likely broken]. The calibration did not work. Although I know how the measurement can be done manually (like this: http://sound.westhost.com/tsp.htm , or using a different software suite (SW or arta/LIMP, etc)), I have no means to do so (I'm in a moving transition, and will be for a long time). For now, I'm going to have to sell them "as is." If they don't sell, I'll likely re-post them with the proper data in the future. I wouldn't mind keeping 2 pairs for myself.

w15cy Serial Numbers:

- 16/05 29
- 16/05 30
- 45/03 37
- 45/03 42
- 45/03 44
- 45/03 56
- 33/04 37
- 33/04 38
---------------------
- Peerless HDS "XLS 8" 830491 midbass = [[02/12/12]: Both Pairs Sold - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality - these. They are excellent (huge usable excursion) dedicated midbasses, but should not be used above 300hz.

- Update: 03/15/12: I have (1) additional un-used pair of the Peerless 830491 which I did not list. I'll decide what to do with it before the end of March. I may post that pair up as well, in which case I'll contact the people who expressed interest, in order.

Heatware feedback: Archmage | HeatWare.com - "Archmage"
Ebay feedback: Magewar - all positives.
Preferred Payment: Amazon Payments (no fees) or Paypal; I'll accept MO or other, however.

Sold Items:

1 pair LCY 130 Ribbons
1 Pair Seas Excel w15cy
2 Pairs Peerless 830491 8" midbasses
1 PPI Art AX400 car audio amplifier

Keeping for Self:

- EMU 1820M PCI audio card
- (2) O Audio TC Sounds TC2+ 15" woofers = no buyers, and few suitable replacements now that AE AV woofers are out of production.

Last edited:
I'll be back in a few hours, and I'll see if I can post some pics up tonight, but for now:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/177483-seas-5-2-way.html - w15cy001 + T25CF002, similar to what Zaph had done

Zaph|Audio - Scroll down to Zaph's design (it's just a picture) and comments about the wandering breakup node. Now it has settled...heh

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SEAS_5INCH.htm - Season 22TAF/G

Edit: Damnit... I deleted a huge section... uh... essentially the thought was that this mid would have been best utilized in a dual-midrange + waveguide tweeter setup. The Seas DXT or Peerless HDS tweeter would have been good matches. Zaph apparently used this with the Peerless HDS tweeter in his personal setup a while back. I happen to use that same tweeter in my personal setups. One reason to use the waveguide tweeter = to cross lower (1.8-2.0Khz, ideally) to avoid the 3rd order harmonic peak (centered at ~2.3Khz) of the w15cy. Using dual mids will allow for some additional output to match the WG tweeter. That could be something to work toward as a future project.

Monitor W15NeoSEAS W15CY001 + - using the fountek neoCD3 ribbon (I'd go with a dome design).

If you're able to run a digital x-over + a microphone setup, then you can experiment further.

Last edited:
Troels uses a recent version of the W15CY in his design, you can see this in his measurement, the break-up is around 8-9khz. Really though the 'old' lower break-up W15s really are very old drivers. I've had a pair for 10+ years now and they have the break-up at 8-9khz too. I'm not sure when the W15 was first released, but it certainly can not have been in production for very long before the change came in.

In fact I am wondering if the W15s with the 6khz break-up were a faulty production run or something because the 1996 W14CY (driver before the W15) datasheet shows a 9khz break-up, then the 2000 W15 data sheet also shows a similarly high break-up. Zaphs 2004 measurement shows the 6khz break-up, but mine, which were pretty much from around 2000 and certainly came before 2004 have the break-up at 8.3khz.

Hmm... well mine are not that old. My w15cy001's were purchased around 2006. Thank you, 5th Element, for this information.

Some of the serial numbers: "16/05-29" and "16/05-30"

I suppose the breakup node is likely in the 8+ Khz region then, which would be great (extends usability considerably).

In order to verify this, I'd want a Frequency response sweep, CSD, and impedance curve. (Any other ideas? What is the easiest method?)

I can measure the T/S parameters using mass-loading and probably generate an impedance curve (woofer tester 2). I cannot do the others (no longer have my measurement setup). I've been entirely out of the audio hobby since...2006, which hopefully explains a few things. The sad thing is that I probably had the proper measurements for these drivers at one point...geez, I've owned too many speakers.

This is going to take some work... I'll see if I can do something about this a little later.

Vladco: sorry, I'll try to get you the right information. If I cannot, I'll have to sell these with pics / serial numbers "as-is."

Last edited:
An impedance sweep will be perfectly adequate. Attached is an impedance measurement of my W15CYs with the break-up at 8.3khz. As you can see there is a clear wiggle in the impedance plot at this point. If the break-up is at 6khz I would expect the wiggle to appear there instead.

Attachments

• W15-2.gif
    W15-2.gif
    90.1 KB · Views: 238
OK, an update:

- Thanks to 5th Element for that impedance plot

- I need to get a proper (10-ohm) calibration resistor in order to generate the impedance curves for the Excel drivers. Right now my woofer tester is giving me a bunch of values that make no sense. I'm not certain that it still works properly :( - I'd do it manually, but that'd require a few simple things which I do not have at the moment :(

- I'll work on getting the pics up for now.

- I'll respond to PMs right after this post.

- The PPI art AX400 does have the plugs, but I'd still prefer to sell that locally because I'm not going to be able to test it. If there are no takers in a week, then yea, I'll just sell it to anyone for $20 + shipping or so, as-is. I think I have a pdf document somewhere explaining the analog x-over switches.

Sorry for the delays...this may take some time.

Hello,

Yes. One of my local friends thinks he wants it. He will likely come by next week to demo (I'm currently out of town, and I'm about to update the OP to reflect that).

Most likely I'll let him "rent" the amp...probably for free. I'll be forced to sell it again in a few months.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.