• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Help wanted on getting parts from the US

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have seen some parts I would like to order from the us, however, looking ont he UPS website, it would cost me almost $300 to have them sent over here (four times what teh item would cost). So I was wondering if anyone know a cheeper way of posting them to the UK, or has any means of doing so themselfs. The package itself would be arrpund 65lbs, and measre around 14 X 20 X 8 inches.

So, if anyone could help me out with this one I would be very greatful.

Andrew.

Andrew,

UPS international is extremely expensive. Better have it shipped USPS, if possible (some sellers don`t seem willing to ship Postal Service).

look:
USPS International Calculator

65lbs Economy (Surface) Parcel Post (4-6 weeks) U$118.25 (without insurance)

I think that`s cheaper than shipping to Peter and from there to You although apparently surface mail from Canada is cheaper (and less hassle to get directly - for You and Peter as well).

Don`t forget also to take in account customs (VAT for example), eventually!
Maybe it`s possible to ask to get the box USPS uninsured without declared (or low...er) value to get around paying customs and VAT. Many, especially proffessional sellers won`t do this (due to obvious reasons.... :goodbad: ) but in case it`s a private seller to ask costs nothing.

The parts only have a value of around £45, and with uk VAT at 17.5%, that would only work out at about £8 which is nothing compared to the £70 it looks like it will cost to have the things shipped.

Well, but sometimes VAT and customs applies to shipping too not only the item!
At least that`s the way it is here. Better call Your local customs office and ask to avoid unpleasant surprises.

I don't want to disappoint Mr Parsnip, Sir, but I believe VAT is added to the total: product price + shipping + insurance. You also have to pay import duty on top, which is only levied on purchase price.

As an example, I imported two Peerless 8" woofers from Madisound last year....

Cost of goods: $55
Shipping: $42.24
Duty: £1.39
VAT: £13.39
Admin fee: £4.50

Duty and VAT were paid by FedEx to UK Customs and I had to reimburse them, for which they charged the admin fee.

So my $27.50 woofers cost £40 each - still a good price IMHO.

EDIT: I forgot to say that the shipping was by air. I ordered on Tuesday lunchtime and the goods arrived Friday afternoon - now that's service! The price for 4-6 week overland wasn't much cheaper, maybe $30 instead of $42.

Nice one,
David.

In the Netherlands you have to pay custom tax (invoerrechten) and VAT (btw 19.5%) on the price of the goods and on the shipping costs. And there are a zillion different rates for the import, form 0 - 30 %. Its really crazy.

I have recently bought a pair of 12" woofers (24 kilo package) from Florida. Shipping was $150. It was send airport to airport, which means I had to pay a lot of additional costs to get them from Schiphol (about 160 euro). However somehow the shipper had succeeded in getting a very low import tax rate (below 7 euro, which then you do not have to pay). All the money went to the shipper for handling, storage, declarings, administartion and so on.

Duck-Twacy said:
In the Netherlands you have to pay custom tax (invoerrechten) and VAT (btw 19.5%) on the price of the goods and on the shipping costs. And there are a zillion different rates for the import, form 0 - 30 %. Its really crazy.

Almost the same rules as in Sweden, if you are ordering from outside the EEC, but if you are ordering from inside the EEC there is no custom, no tax execpt the tax in the sender country. so its always best to try to find the goodies inside our big happy comunity :rolleyes:

One way is to find someone "over there" that can ship the goods as a private person, as "a gift" (soon it's X-mas) that way there will be no custom or tax ( there is a max limit, check with custom).

DVC Keld

One way is to find someone "over there" that can ship the goods as a private person, as "a gift" (soon it's X-mas) that way there will be no custom or tax ( there is a max limit, check with custom).
You could avoid the limit when the sender does not specify or does not declare value over this limit but then You`ve to live with it that in case of damage or lost of Your (insured) item there is no refund of the actual value.

OTOH... ever tried to get refund from a shipper in case of damage?... a friend of mine did....what a trouble!!!..... and after months he still did not get anything.....just forget it!

IMO damage in shipping mostly is due to insufficient packing and that something gets lost is very, very rare.

Anyway, no risk no fun ;)

I have heard USPS basically never pays out on insurance claims, which is why a lot of shippers refuse to use them.

If you want a scary story a recent package I received (shipped via DHL) was taken out of its double cardboard boxes, shrinkwrap, and protective pressboard panels. The panels were then taped back to it and it was sent on, sans wrapping or cardboard. :goodbad: There is really no protection against this kind of abuse.

Apparantly this was the work of U.S. customs...John Ashcroft protecting me from my new sub.

Speaking of insurance..

The UK post office is no better.
I sold a scrap laptop on ebay. The buyer insisted on just plain postal insurance.
Sure enough it dissappeared.
I submitted the claim form for reimbursement, and was told that I had to attach the "certificate of posting".
As I handed it over, I joked "can I have a reciept for this, it's the only proof I've got now". "No" was the reply, "we don't and can't".
I had to reimburse the buyer.
1 year later, I sometimes wonder what ever happened to the laptop, claim form and certiicate of posting.
They just shook their heads in the post office last time I asked.

at the beginning of September you could fly yourself from New York to Amsterdam, Paris or Madrid on AIR INDIA ROUND TRIP for $280. Thus, your seller could have packed th speakers in his suitcase (you are allowed 2), even declared them and paid the duty and had you buy dinner. No, you didn't have to go further on to Delhi or Mumbai either.

I was thinking of loading up the suitcase with Analog Devices and Linear Tech stuff and taking a trip to Amsterdam -- have a one-man tent show outside Schipol. Or if anyone wants to meet me in Toulouse in October ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.