• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: restored 1969 KLH Model 5 speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For sale are a great pair of KLH Model 5 speakers lovingly rebuilt a few years back. When out for a run I spotted these babies out on the curb ready for trash pickup. The cases were moldy and splitting, probably forgotten about in someones basement for 20 years, but the speaker cones were in good condition (except for a dent in one 4" woofer dome) so I couldn't help but bring them home. If you're wondering how I know they were made in 1969, the date was stamped on the crossovers.

After placing the speakers in new cases (built as clones of the originals), replacing the capacitors in the crossovers, and using contact cleaner on the crossover switches (seen in the rear view) they sound great!

- Dimensions: 27"x14.5"x12"
- Weight: 50 lbs each
- 8 ohm impedance
- Speaker arrangement per case: 1x 10" sub / 2x 4" mids / 1x tweeter
- closed construction with ~1lbs polyfill / cu. ft.
- 3/4" oak veneered MDF cases
- switches on the back panel for adjusting the crossover to your preferred sound
- paper cones
- clothe surrounds
- KLH badges missing

So how do they sound? Great! The sound isn't as accurate as modern audiophile quality, but I would describe them as being very musical. A pleasure to listen to. The highs are mellow and the lows are strong. These speakers aren't as efficient as modern ones so make sure your amp isn't underpowered. I've used 15W Topping, 90W Denon, 90W Hypex, and 200W Hypex amplifiers on this. The Hypex seemed to make the sound more lively. (If you're interested I'm also planning on selling my new Hypex 180ST amp after these go in case someone wants a demo.)

To me they're a beautiful antique worth ~$500, but if you search the internet most go for about $0 - $200 depending on quality. Therefore I'll start with an asking price of $200 with the buyer paying for shipping. At worst is UPS Store ground from Boston to CA estimated at $140. I'm also fine with pickup, demo'ing, and best offers.

Attachments

• ebay 0.resized.jpg
    ebay 0.resized.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 543
  • ebay 1.resized.jpg
    ebay 1.resized.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 510
  • ebay 2.resized.jpg
    ebay 2.resized.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 483
  • ebay 3.resized.jpg
    ebay 3.resized.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 467
I know I threatened to post these on Craigslist but I just can't bring myself to giving them to some jerk who will blow the coils (met some nuts in the past!). So instead I've decided to give these babies away for FREE to a good home. Just tell me a nice story about how you'll be using them and you can either pick them up in Boston or pay for shipping.

Last edited:
I've got a buddy who would put them to good use. I refirbed an old Sansui for him and set him up with an old Dual turntable that he has been using to drive boom box speakers. These would be perfect to complete the vintage system. I am in Vermont, but he comes down to Boston pretty regularly. If Pano doesn't bite, I'm sure my friend would be happy to have them.

Dave

vintage madness

OK- I'll join the discussion, and put in my bid I'm zip 02138, same as Henry's, when he was around.

Here's some factoids. I used to sell these, and others in harvard Sq, 1969-1970
The fives rated highest (imho) in the KLH line, (excepting the 9 electrostatics).

I'm one person who has had more pairs of KLH 6's stolen from him than most people have owned. (3)

I bought a pair of near-mint KLH-5 boxes, (Locally, for 20 bucks) no drivers, about 10 years ago. Sadly, I lost one of them; I was getting sick of unfinished projects. One remains--good looking walnut, but cut up, baffle-wise, for a refit that won't happen. Remaining are two linen grill-covers as well as some extra (not oem) beige linen, and some of that wonderful black dividing strip that completed the front-panel look.

I still remember passing the Kloss house (mansion?) on numerous walking trips. I could confirm that it was his do to the shifting chromatics of what had to be a Kloss novabeam. After all-who but Henry could afford to keep one of those things going? Much press coverage ensued when the joint was sold, following his death, for 4.5 million, 12 or 15 yrs ago. It was regularly suggested that the everyday master of Cambridge speaker fame was thumbing his nose at the Brattle street bluebloods buy choosing to live there!

So I can come by and get them, to actually use for listening. I'll have to get some walnut veneer, and some solid walnut for the bevelled front--The oak won't cut it-- but my brother lives in walnut country (upper NY) and has several barns full of wood...

d61packard, in the world of google mail gets me.

Know its old but....

I know its old but I loved this thread. It had me happy / sad, happy /sad all the way thru. Would be nice to know where these speakers are right now. Listening to CCR 1st. thing this AM ...right now...Dynaco ST (1960 model) and two rescue KLH 5s. They came from a local thrift store...$44.00 painted white, grills and all...Now paint mostly removed , rebuilt crossover nets.. Lots...LOTS of work ! Love them. The world was a better place when speakers were built like this. With best regards to all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.