• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Orion or PPI rca to din cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Google search brought up lots of vendors for just the 5 pin din connectors. It is very doubtful you will find any of the original cables from PPI and Orion.. I have some of the din connectors laying around but I built my own cables back then as they wanted a arm and leg for those cables as I remember, and the originals were just not that good to command the price they were asking for them back then....hope this helps some...:)

Google search brought up lots of vendors for just the 5 pin din connectors. It is very doubtful you will find any of the original cables from PPI and Orion.. I have some of the din connectors laying around but I built my own cables back then as they wanted a arm and leg for those cables as I remember, and the originals were just not that good to command the price they were asking for them back then....hope this helps some...:)

Thanks for the quick response, 1more. I was hoping to land some for a period piece. It's Orion I'm after, but I would settle for PPI. There was a guy on ebay a few weeks back that had a $#@!load of them pictured, but as with 98% of his stuff they weren't listed. Super shady guy too. And I didn't really need my correspondence with him to tell me that. Too bad, because he had some pretty amazing items.
Anyways, I saw all those cables and figured there were still a few out there. If I made my own I'd probably only make a mess. I think there are some on ebay that need to be modded or something.
You didn't like the quality of the originals? I never got to hear them. By the time anybody I knew could afford Orion amps they only wanted to use rca's.

I built mine with fully shielded metal plugs that were 90 degree offset so they would not stick out in the way, and get knocked loose or out of socket. Plus I used high grade shielded twisted pair cables to avoid ground loops and noise issues. I also used the PPI crossovers and three channel EQ's and when all that got connected it was notorious for ground loop issues... I still have some of the 90 degree 5 pin DIN plugs and a couple straight plastic covered ones. Car gear was more expensive back then and the market was full of young inexperienced people that would pay outrageous prices for things like factory cables with gold plating on them. Since they plugged into non gold plated sockets I just did not see the reason to pay for the glitz. So I made my own and paid attention to the details of offset angle plugs and very high grade cabling.... I wish you luck on your retro setup...:)

PS it is expensive now but there are still places out there that will gold plate anything electronic. At the price of gold these days it will run your wallet real hard though...:eek:

P.S. If you ask any competent installer they will tell you to run power on one side of the car and RCAs on the opposite side of the car. PPI and Orion missed this when they ran +&- 15 volts inside the soft Red cables they built back then. So the DIN plugs while fashionable were also capable of causing induce DC voltages and power supply noise on the RCAs. Not a good thing IMHO....Just some food for thought cables placed side by side and power pasted thru one of them will induce voltage in the other if they are close enough. Simple laws of electrical physics. just ask the guy standing near a power transmission line with a fluorescent bulb light up what I mean. Flux fields in side by side conductors are a widely known about subject.

Last edited:
I know about not running power beside rca's. I know this and I practice it. However, I was so caught up in keeping with the times that I didn't even think about that. So thank you for that. Maybe I'll look into making my own then. I was considering running the 3 channel eq. Come to think of it, that would all make plenty of noise. My crossover has 3 din inputs by itself, I'm sure that would contribute to noise. Maybe I'll just run rca's until I learn how to put together my own cables.
As far as the gold plating: absolutely not. Sure, it's pretty, but it doesn't mean anything to me. That gold plating imo is what people chose over build quality, and now they have it. Only now it's in the form of flashing lights and "max" ratings. Speaking of which, I sold an amp to a kid the other day who had never heard of Orion. I was speechless. The screwed up part is that name is still in business. Yes, I'm very nostalagic, and very sad.
Thanks for pointing that out to me. I'm now going to look into building my own.

SUPER SHADY GUY ON EBAY WITH LOTS OF ORION DIN CABLES

Hi Primer65,

This is the super shady guy on ebay with all of the pics of stuff not listedYa I probably do have all of the ORION or PPI din cables you are looking for like you stated I can sell you 6 2300M's,2 PRO MOS-450's,2 2075AM's,A mint DCX/RCM-1000,PAR-225,PCE-440,ALL WHITE and a few other goodies if you change your mind about your correspondence with me
Got a ORION 500PMQ or too old for you?

BTW my EBAY feedback from items sold isn't so shady either.I'm not new with oldschool equipment.Sorry for the long post but I don't like being slammed by people who don't know me.

Thank You

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.