• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Aikido Octal Preamp Glassware TCJ with regulated supplies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Asking $399 plus shipping. Pictures will not upload, please contact me if you would like to see them.

For sale is an Octal Aikido tube preamp using the circuit boards from Glassware TCJ (Tube CAD Journal) for both the signal circuit and also for regulated B+ and filament supplies. This unit also has the upgraded Elma switched stepped attenuator (attenuator kit alone lists for $170)

The preamp is housed in a 16 by 16 inch Par-Metal aluminum chassis that has been painted black Hammertone.

3 input and 2 outputs via gold plated RCA's. IEC socket for your favorite power cord (no power cord supplied).

Front has a 3-position input switch, the 3 knobs for the stepped attenuator, toggles for both the filament and separate B+ transformers, and a B+ power status light.

The unit stands on four large rubber footers.

Inside is the over spec'd power transformer, separate Hammond filament transformer, power supply board, signal chassis board, attenuator board and selector switch and wiring.

The Octal Aikido is set up for 6SN7 tubes. Four closely matching GE side getter 6SN7GTB tubes that test as new on my Amplitrex tester are supplied.

This preamp is great sounding. Nice extension but smooth, as one would expect from an octal tube circuit.

One note, this circuit can have a bit of noise (mainly 120hz hum) if you turn it on after your amp, or turn off the preamp before you turn off your amps. It is not dangerous noise, but is a function of the noise cancellation of the active circuit, and I wanted potential owners to be aware of it. Commercial units usually utilize relays to mute this noise, but this clean circuit requires you just to watch your turn on and turn off sequence.

The preamp is very very quiet once up and running, the only time there is the hum noted above is during turn on or powering down. Once the regulators are doing their thing, it is a wonderful quiet background, even on my 99 db sensitive speakers.

It is functioning great, has wonderful sound, and has a truly heavy duty and tight power supply.

Sold AS IS. No returns.

Rated 6/10 due to DIY nature of assembly.

Unit weighs about 20 pounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.