Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2011, 01:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Heathkit AA-1600 power transformers 54-948

I'm not really a vendor...I won't admit to being a hoarder...so maybe somewhere in between.

I have several unused Heathkit 54-948 power transformers which I am 99% sure are for the AA-1600. Not sure if any other models used it.

They are unused, not very pretty (never were anyway). Been in my garage boxed since the early-mid 90's. Maybe 1983 date code, IIRC.

Some may have some slight surface rust from humidity, not immersion. I talked to a mfr in Illinois that made a lot of transformers for Heathkit, and the chief engineer said the only thing that would happen to varnish- or 'Perma-Fill' impregnated power transformers is perhaps a degradation of the hi-pot (dielectric voltage withstand) rating of no more than 10%. It is now common to ac-rate hipot specs (1500 Vac is common in the US, but back then most Heath transformers had DC hi-pot specs...I may have then in a notebook. 500VDC, 2000VDC and 2500 VDC were typical years ago depending whether it was winding-to-winding or winding-to-frame. Higher ratings occasionally for >2KV RF amplifier power transformers with DHT's). AC hi-pot is a challenge to measure for transformers because the reactances inherent to transformers cause significant ac current flow in some test configurations. DC safety testing was a lot easier. I think AC hipot specs may be typical nowadays even with transformers...maybe the instrumentation is smarter and can distinguish steady-state reactive current due to inductance, interwinding capacitance,etc., from defects they are trying to screen...corona and other phenomena due to insulation damage I suppose are more erratic and have a different signature that cpu-controlled instrumentation can detect.

From the preceding paragraph, take this away: I guarantee they will be functional and the safety might possibly only be degraded minimally, as they already had significant safety margin.

Again, I guarantee none were WET, just years of unheated storage and no humidity control.

If no one has any need, i would appreciate a description of the power supply in the AA-1600. I only found a schematic online for the amplifier part, not the power supply. If I have the hi-pot specs, I would have winding v and I test circuit info...but not the amplifier power supply circuit specifically...so that's why I ask.

I was going to name a price, but it seems a little premature if i don't know what exactly is inside besides a lot of iron and copper :O).

I'll be back with more info, hopefully tomorrow. Maybe data & pics.

Thanks

Murray

Last edited by multi-volti; 19th September 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 18th April 2013, 03:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I know this a old post.. But, would you happen to have any of the Heathkit 54-948 power transformers?? Im interested in one.. thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!