• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB pair of 12" mid bass hi eff, SoCal preferred

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a pair of Klipsch heresy speakers with kicked in woofers. Originals are K-22, K-28 works fine, so apparently would most good paper cone non subwoofer high efficiency type 12" drivers. I'm looking for a pair, but even one K-22 might work if I patch up one cone. Its a budget project, so local to SoCal preferred, but open to suggestions. I'm on the Klipsch forums, so obvious sources already known.

Both of those drivers have a lot of appeal, was going to say sound interesting, but don't want to suggest thats how they sound, just that they look good on paper. Both of them blow my budget out of the water though, these are speakers I picked up the pair for about what one of those drivers costs. Still a tempting idea, but my instinct is that I should restore them as original before trying any modification, and that doesn't seem like water you can dip a toe in, its jump or stay out. ;)

Why do you come to this conclusion. The fact is, it's most probably a custom spec'd unit more towards Hi-Fi than the usual suspects built for PA and stage wedges etc.ie lower bass in a sealed box 94 dB/W/m and 4 ohms.

Heresy speakers were widely used commercially, in everything from churches to Chucky Cheese, kind of a PA/hifi crossover speaker. They don't make a lot of low bass, down 3 db I think at 80 hz, starting to roll around 100 hz.

During the very long life of the Klipsch Heresy speaker a variety of suppliers were used to source the drivers, and the current driver as supplied as a replacement by Hope is the K-28 (around $200 a pair shipped).

Bob Crites, the mavin of all things Klipsch, sells a Eminence made to his spec for around $200 shipped, said to be suitable as a replacement for k-22, 23, 28, klf30.

Some early version I think used the EV SP12B.

Now the sensible thing of course is to match pairs, but a 12" mid base high efficiency driver for a two or three way system was a VERY common design, generally with simple crossover networks, so substitution was common.

Good original drivers are also not too hard to find for around $80 a pair. I just haven't found any local, and once shipping gets added on, other options start to have more appeal.

Reconing so far looks like $64 each plus shipping, and if ever sold recones tend to have a lower market value due to problems.

Chucky Cheese LOL
well if yer going to sell them, do what is best 100 ea shipped from the factory is reasonable even though Crites probably has a better match. If you are going to enjoy them yerself modify them as your budget and ears allow. ie new spec'd driver, added reflex port low tuned, more BSC inductance and pad the horn a little more.
PS hoping to get an original matching pair for 80 is questionable in my mind and I'm sure no guarantees there apply

Last edited:
Heresy's weigh like 50 lbs each, often have rough looking cabs from commercial use, so sad to many get parted out for more than the whole speaker sells for, with the horns and crossover going for the most dollars, cabs the least, and woofers one step up. I've found two sellers at the $80/pair price for originals, one as far from SoCal in the NE as possible, and the other in FL, so shipping is as much as a driver. If I hadn't bought a NICE set of Forte's before the weekend was over I was going to buy a set despite the shipping, but now I am willing to wait a few swap meets to see what turns up local.

When SPL meets SQ, things can get pricey fast. I need to listen and think before I start to consider where I might want to go. Stepping up the SQ might not have anything in common with the original speakers.

BTW one of the Klipsch guys posted back to me that the B&C 12PE32 in a Heresy cab would roll off at 208hz, a bit thin on bass. ;)

I live near Disneyland, so depends on the end of California or side you are in, but what you want to look for is called a Hamfest, amateur radio swap meet, which these days is mostly general electronics stuff, just no socks or old clothes like typical swap meets. The big one in SoCal is the last Saturday of the month at TRW in Torrance. NoCal has some even better ones for speakers though.

Speakers are new to me, before 10 days ago I hadn't purchased anything but parts in maybe 10 years when I bought my Signets at an auction. I've been thinking about horns for a LONG time.

As for redoing etc, did I mention that gets real expensive fast?

I would start with a proven design that you basically like, get a baseline for what you do and don't like about it and move from that.

SD is good too, Colby swap meet is kind of mercato, socks to lunch, but you get a few people who specialize in product areas like electronics, and row or two of the storage and garage cleanout people. Santee drive in has a regular swap, and first Saturday of the month back few rows are "hamfest", but many are regulars every day the swap is open.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.