• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ENAMELED CuNi44 0.1mm diameter (Constantan, Isotan) Resistance wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Ive got an excessive amount of this wire so if anyone wants any let me know how much in grams, and ill give you a price plus shipping.

Ill even wind it on to a spool.

wire.jpg

Minimum Amount will be 100g, for $23 AUD.

CuNi44, also called Constantan, has a very low temperature coefficient, high electrical resistance, high ductility and non-corroding properties. It is suitable for use at temperatures up to 600°C (1110°F). Is a very malleable, very ductile alloy, it has a very good resistance to oxidation. The alloy is non-magnetic. It is suitable for electrical resistors, potentiometers, heating wires, heating cables and mats.

John Brown from ecdesigns describes how to make virtually inductance and capacitance free resistors in his thread here:

Building the ultimate NOS DAC using TDA1541A - Page 327 - diyAudio

Last edited:
alazira,

Good to hear the wire arrived.

Not too sure about the power handling of this wire, i remember reading on john browns thread that it was "high wattage". I also remember that a member asked the same question that you asked me, and im pretty sure john provided a calculation in his reply, but i cant for the life of me find where it is, sorry.

Ill keep looking.

Ryan

Here is something that might help you. Quoted from John Brown.

Honeycomb / Mobius resistor wattage Hi ppap64.

Quote:
If you use 100 ohm/m Isotan to wind them, approx. what wattage
rating would they have?
I use these resistors for passive I/V conversion, dissipation here is approx. 4 milliwatts. Wire is not used for providing high wattage but for achieving low noise levels.

Given a 500R Mobius / Honeycomb resistor made of 100 ohm/m Isotan resistance wire, power rating equals approx. 2.6 watts. This is based on wire temperature of approx. 100 degrees centigrade and 72mA running through the wire.

So a 100R Mobius resistor of the same wire could handle P = I * I * R = 0.072 * 0.072 * 100 = 518 mW.

Wattage can be increased by increasing wire diameter.

Here are indication currents (approx. 100 degrees centigrade wire temp) for different Isotan wire diameters:

0.5mm, (2.5 Ohms / meter), 608 mA
0.25mm, (10 Ohms / meter), 368 mA
0.15mm (28 Ohms / meter), 128 mA
0.1mm, (63 Ohms / meter), 76 mA
0.08mm, (100 Ohms / meter), 72 mA

500 Ohm Honeycomb resistor made from 200 meters of 0.5mm diameter Isotan would have power rating of approx. 184 watts.

Hi Ryanj, What is the maximum temperature that support the enamel?
Do you have a seller of this wire?
I am interested in the construction of resistors made with constanta or nichrome. I not sure if i want to do in honey comb maybe making a coil in one sense and the other in the counter sense of the other for cancelate the magnetic field. I have in Argentina, some old resistors bobinated in no magnetic form that i took from old transmision devices from the airforce. Not here in Spain but the need with little inmagination is the mother of the invention.

Best Regards
Esteban

Hi AndrewT, When i refer to enamel is because the choice in make a coil with many layers one over the previous. The fussion point of Constanta is so High. But if i put together the layers and rise the temperature is possible to short circuit and became down the value.
Best Regards and many thanks for you at the Scotish Borders of the world.

I would suggest you set up a test to pass current through a short length of your resistance wire.
If placing your finger on the wire, burns your finger, then you have asked for too much current.
Sorry sir, the question about the Tº of the enamel is pertinent because if you make the coil in multiple layers or putt together the wires and rise the Tº (the dissipation is enough) is possible to short circuit between them. Then you put the finger in the middle of your favourite part of you body and feel if is hot.

Esteban,
Suggest you look up the spec sheets of the Isotan wire from either the "Lake Shore" or "Isabellenhutte" websites that will be same/similar to ryans wire from China.

Basically, the wires temp range is about 60*C without significant value change or permanent material alteration - insulation temp rating is also available, if memory correct but to go to this sort of effort for a precision resistor, highly recommend NOT to use a "choke wind" of the resistance wire, for obvious reasons, even if you use a "mobius" system
- there are plenty of other winding/stacking methods to avoid a self heating transformer style

What is the resistor value/voltage/wattage and it's use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.