• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Scan Speak 25w/8565.01 10" bass driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 4 of these drivers for sale, low hours they are mounted in cabinets that are a design by Lynn Olsen, here is a link The Ariel and the ME2
Scroll up to good base.

I am asking $100 each + freight and 4% PayPal. I will throw in the cabinets but it will have to be local pickup.

Bill

25W/8565-01
24 cm bass driver with paper cone

power handling (continuous/program) = 100 W
resonance frequency fs = 19 Hz
impedance R = 8 Ohm
sound pressure level SPL = 88 dB (2,83V; 1m)
DC resistance Re = 5,5 Ohm
effective piston radiating area Sd = 330 cm2
effective mechanical mass incl. air load 47 g
equivalent volume of compliance Vas = 229 l
total Q factor Qts = 0,34 (Qms=5,6, Qes=0,36)
maximum peak linear excursion vibration xlin = +/- 6,5 mm
mounting diameter d = 228 mm
overall diameter d = 255 mm

Here is a picture of the cabinets,

Bill

Attachments

• P1020046.JPG
    P1020046.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 294
They are good drivers and cabinets, I could never get the tuning with my speakers to work out. A shame I have a interested buyer for the drivers without the cabinets. The cabinet construction was as Lynn recomended 3/4 Baltic burch , 4 braces Swiss cheesed, one side dampened. Quite a bit of time though I could have done better on the finish.

bill

Last edited:
I have a pair that I am using in an identical application. I had the same issue getting them to integrate. They always ended up sounding boomy and a bit of that "one note" bass syndrome. I ended up moving them into sealed boxes last year. I know I lost a lot of bass extension, but the tuning became easy. With a bit of bass boost down around 25 hz, they do a great job.

I don't know off hand. I could measure this weekend when I am home. I just used the factory specs and did a calculation for a sealed box. I uses a .707 Q and moved on. In fact I was able to cut down my ported boxes to about 1/2 the size for the sealed box. It only cost me my time and the price of glue.

I found that the heavy cone of that driver just didn't have the control I was looking for with the soft air spring of a vented enclosure. The tight spring of the sealed box made it very musical, though lacking the ultimate bass extension. What I found strange is that for years ProAc used that same driver in a very small vented sub. I'm not sure how they did it, but it was very nice. I borrowed one from my local shop for a while before buying the ScanSpeaks to build my own.

I can't believe nobody is snapping those up at that price. They just need the right box. I am now considering building them into a 3 way with a ribbon, 4" mid and 10" sealed sub. With a well designed crossover, it would be truly world class.

Agreed - I have stereo cabinets using these bad boys. They seem to be very picky about the room, but I'm not sure how the box size is affecting that as well. I have had issues with one-note-bass, which I have attempted with some success to tame with a DCX2496.

Maybe I need to consider a different box. Certain notes (kick drum in Neil Young's Out on the Weekend) are punchy and and realistic, others are muddy (heartbeat in Dark Side of the Moon).

Generally speaking, they are the best drivers I've used, but I agree that they need some tweaking. Any proven box designs are welcome, but I have my doubts about Lynn's specs.

i bought a JBL e250p sub last year , my first reaction was it sounds boomy and muddy :( i thought i had made a mistake. after trying everything everything i could remember i decided to cover the port and that stupid 60hz boom was gone. it´s so tight now :) and since i only use 20% of the sub power it works fine with the covered port. i manly listen to rock so i dont need that much under 40hz. maybe a sealed box is the best for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.