• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

WTB: 10000uf 80v capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
As in the title.

Looking for 4 pieces of 10000uf 80v decent capacitors.

Plenty on Ebay from HK but none of them I can find in any datasheet so I assume they're no no to go.

Anyone knows good source. I'm limited by dimensions of 35mm diameter and 50mm height.

Thanks

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks guys for respond.
What I'm trying to do is to recap my old faithul amp - Electrocompaniet ECI-1.
It's over 10 years old but so far I tried many other integreated and this one is just what fits the definition of my perfect amp. It's very liquid and warm, producing relaxing and very involving sound. From the factory it came with all Nippon Chemicon capacitors and these are what I'm looking for replacement. I would like to keep the same sonic signature as close as possible. Some of the vendors carry caps I need but none of them have any in stock so I started seeking other manufacturers.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Found those on Ebay:

2PCS Elna 10000uF 80V For Audio Capacitor New TOP HiFi | eBay

Seller has perfect feedback. Exchanged a few emails with them asking about those caps because I was not able to find anything in official Elna datasheets.
I was assured that those are real deal and even got datasheet of that specific cap but still no info on Elna website.

Anyone can confirm that those are not fake ?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Almost certainly fake I would say... http://www.diyaudio.gr/downloads/lpoii.pdf MTZ Audio - ELNA .

As I said before I doubt you can find an 80V 10,000uF cap with those dimensions, although based on the datasheet my estimate of 4700uF was a bit low because the biggest they offer in what appears to be the same cap you linked to above is 6800uF 80V. or alternatively 10,000uF at 63V. So either the voltage or the capacitance is over-rated on that cap I would say, and I also wouldn't be surprised if it isn't really an Elna ;)

They might use the excuse of custom OEM run for not being in the datasheet, but I can't see how that would explain how the same series of cap somehow manages to get extra capacitance without increasing in size ;)

Tony.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wintermute (Tony)

Lack of any information in official Elna datasheets is also my argumentation against buying those capacitors but the Ebay seller "argues" with me that those are real. I even got from him a datasheet of that specific cap. If you interested, PM me your email, it's to big to post here.
Regarding the size - capacitors at this rating have been made for years. Elna, Nichicon, Chemicon, CDE and probably many others manufacture 10,000uF/80V in 35x50 dimensions. These are general purpose capacitors and that's exactly what I need but no vendor has them in stock.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK I guess general purpose is the key word, I've only looked at caps designed for PSU, or computer use, and perhaps general purpose can get away with smaller size (probably by reducing ripple current handling). In my searches for suitable replacements for my amps PSU caps (which incidentally are 10,000uF 80V) I didn't find anything as small as you mention, everything was much bigger :)

I do find it extremely suspect that the caps posted look just like the ones at the MTZ site, and the datasheet that goes with them shows the biggest in that size being 6800uF... perhaps they needed a a slightly bigger can for the 6800uF (ie it nearly fit in the smaller one but not quite) so there was some room left over and they can actually squeeze in a 10,000uF 80V into the same size. But it seems rather unlikely :)

I'll send a PM :) I'm curious to see the datasheet they provided.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.