• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hi End JBL BI Radial 2344 for Sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the quest for more space around here and the pace of change in my system I have decided to sell the much favoured JBL 2344 Bi Radial Flare.

The JBL 2344 provides outstanding clarity and imaging without any colouration normally associated with horns.

I have used this design for about 2 years and when set up correctly it performs flawlessly. Those familiar with this design will realise they are now obsolete items and rare as hens teeth in good condition.

My pair are in very good condition. The asking price is AUS$295.00 for the pair plus shipping (anywhere in the world).

I will provide complete details of specifications for interested buyers and crossover schematic and setup assistance for the buyer.

They will be slated for E bay in 7 days.

regards

macka:cool:

Here is an untouched in room measure measurement, note the response does not change appreciable off axis

Attachments

• 43452344graph.jpg
    43452344graph.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 449
Bill,

You shouldn't have any trouble obtaining 2344's in the US. They show up on ebay all the time, and there's always Jammin Jersey

If you don't want the 'name' P.Audio make excellent clones for good money. My original 2380 and clones are hard to tell apart. I don't know who the US agent is, but I'd pay about $US60 ea for new P.Audio's here.

The P Audio are similar but not entirely the same products due to patents on the JBL Bi radial design (JBL aren't quite that stupid).

The polynomial design equations for the horn contours are JBL interlectual property and determine the resulting smooth response and coverage angle.

It is unlikey that the P Audio product would deliver the exact same performance paramters for these reasons.

But if cost is a major issue and you are prepared to fart and play in the ointment with the unknown then so be it.

P Audio make an interesting range of what could be termed aftermarket models, some of which are a ripp off on JBL models names like the famous 2241/40 bass driver.

I'll leave you with that thought given the general ethics and moral attitude towards patents and original designs around here.

Jammin Jersy have some 2344s from time to time for US $300 or so a pair but you buy as is with no Kit and no support on how to make the crossover do that ruler flat curve...if life was only that easy, Humbug

macka:eek:

Attachments

• 2344.jpg
    2344.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 342
macka said:
The P Audio are similar but not entirely the same products due to patents on the JBL Bi radial design (JBL aren't quite that stupid).

Unless I'm reading the info on US patents wrong, the one applicable to this flare has expired.

The polynomial design equations for the horn contours are JBL interlectual property and determine the resulting smooth response and coverage angle.

It is unlikey that the P Audio product would deliver the exact same performance paramters for these reasons.

Assuming that I'm correct, then I could have a mould made for these flares indistinguishable from the original in a couple of days, if I so chose. So why couldn't they have the same performance? Are you basing your comment on actual experience, or mere presumption?

P Audio make an interesting range of what could be termed aftermarket models, some of which are a ripp off on JBL models names like the famous 2241/40 bass driver.

Looking at the P.Audio site for their specs on the 2241 vs the TS paramater list I downloaded from the JBL Pro site, they're different enough to be considered different drivers. Ditto the 2242.

I'll leave you with that thought given the general ethics and moral attitude towards patents and original designs around here.

LOL.

Jammin Jersy have some 2344s from time to time for US $300 or so a pair but you buy as is with no Kit and no support on how to make the crossover do that ruler flat curve...if life was only that easy, Humbug

Please explain how this is at all relevant.

Your flares are sold, so there is no backup from you to Bill F to "make the crossover do that ruler flat curve" if he sources his flares elsewhere. I merely pointed out two possible alternatives, well 3 including ebay, after your flares were sold. Jammin Jersey are a reputable store and I bet they would have thrown in some bolts if asked. Otherwise they're not hard to get, nor expensive and all the pro's I know would have a box full of them on hand (remember who JJ's customer base is) anyway. Strawman.

I know it's winter in Melbourne, but be careful you don't get sunburned basking in the glow of your self righteous indignation.

I'm only going on practical experience with the device at hand and about 2-3 years trying to develop a crossover that would work with the right eq curve.

JBL in the end relented and sent me the schematic. This schematic is now on their web page hidden aware in a dark corner but not everyone is aware of that.

The buyer got the kit which included all this information and vital parts for the crossover, I figure thats worth 2 years hard work.

macka

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hi Macka,
Spa317 (from your area) is thinking of building a Basszilla. Any recommendations as to a reasonably priced P Audio 15" driver?
Fs around 40 hz. It looks like everything is expensive in Australia. Are there any other brands of pro drivers there that are less than $200 US ea.? Even the P Audio seem pretty pricey.

Sounds like you know what is going on there.

I quickly checked their european website and it's true: they have a model p150/2226 which has a response curve very similar to the JBL 2226. The specs ARE a little different though- and the sound?

Mark

Variac said:
Spa317 (from your area) is thinking of building a Basszilla. Any recommendations as to a reasonably priced P Audio 15" driver?
Fs around 40 hz. It looks like everything is expensive in Australia. Are there any other brands of pro drivers there that are less than $200 US ea.? Even the P Audio seem pretty pricey.

Speaker drivers are epensive here, and $US200/$A300 isn't going to buy you a lot new. For the Basszilla, isn't there an Eminence driver as one of the options? If so then try CMI or (02)93152244. I bought an Omega 18 last year when the exchange rate was really bad for $A450 ish + shipping.

I beleive there's a xover in the Basszilla designed for the specified driver, so if you change the driver, you'll need to re-jig the xover to match. More work.

I've used a couple of the P.Audio's for stage box use (drumfills) last year and they looked and sounded good. I was quite impressed with how well made they were and no one's rung to complain about them failing.

I quickly checked their european website and it's true: they have a model p150/2226 which has a response curve very similar to the JBL 2226. The specs ARE a little different though- and the sound?

Sorry, dunno. But I've heard reports of the 12 and 15 coaxes being used in domestic situations and sounding very good (esp for the money)

This thread is starting to go off topic, however for the benefit of sourcing alternatives:

Another quality manufacturer making vey good pro drivers is Lorantz a local driver maker here in Melbourne. They are comparable to JBL according to local industry sources (I have not found a direct web page link but here is a link worth trying.)

I am am not sure about Lorantz prices, but then you get what you pay for. The problem with woofers is weight, and shipping from overseas is expensive when sourcing what you want, so there is inevitably no cheap way around it.

http://www.waynejonesamplification.com.au/site01/boxes.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.