• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wanted: Inexpensive Phono Pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. I need a phono pre to go with my turntable.

I just transitioned from an mid-90s kenwood receiver to an integrated tube amp (an amazing change in sound). But the integrated does not have a phono stage.

I would like to build my own tube phono preamp, but that's going to take me quite a while (time and money).

In the meantime, I'm looking for an inexpensive phono pre - ideally between 25 and $75. I can buy an Audio Technica for $43, but I figured I would ask here first. That appears to be chump change in the world of phono pres, but it's what I've got.

It's cheaper to build one. See application notes from companies like National Semiconductor. One chip and a few passive components and you are good to go. If you have a junk box you could end up spending maybe $5. You can steal power for it from the amplifier, as it will draw very little.

Another approach is to find an old stereo receiver/amplifier with phono input and just use that part of it.

Well, VSPS is a great idea. But I would like to listen to my records now. You know, this world of instant on-demand gotta have it yesterday.

But seriously, thanks for the suggestions. I do intend to build something nice for myself in the next year when I have the time. The VSPS might be a good option. I suspect it will outperform anything else for the $. That's what I've found building two chip amps, sub, and speakers from here.

If anyone is looking to upgrade their phono pre, let me know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.