N.E.W. 66W Class A Amp - Modified - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2011, 01:47 AM   #1
jono1 is offline jono1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default N.E.W. 66W Class A Amp - Modified

Brand: Nirvana Electric Works
Model: DCA-33
Product Information: Class A Amplifier
Number Of Channels: 2
Bridgeable: Yes

N.E.W. Nirvana DCA-33 Class A Amplifier

Note: N.E.W. is an abbreviation for Nirvana Electric Works; the gear in question is used.

I have for sale a two channel, 33 watt x 2 Class A DC amplifier, supposedly based upon a Nelson Pass circuit. The original gear was designed to run off of 4 lead-acid batteries in an external enclosure, with a charge-discharge cycle. This external battery array is very heavy, and subject to regular replacement. The theory was that the amp would sound better when powered by "pure" DC. However, it could not run continuously because of the charge-discharge cycle.

This was all fine until a defect in the charge-discharge circuit sent DC to my speakers and fried the woofers.

I decided to take a different approach, and designed an outboard dual (isolated) 250W power supply (approx. 500 W total) to run on A/C and to take the place of the heavy batteries. There is a total of 36,000 MFD per channel of filtering. The amp can now run continuously.

The power supply was professionally crafted in a custom enclosure, using toroids, barrier strips, and other hi-rel parts and techniques. Each DC leg is separately fused. A great deal of time and considerable expense was invested in this successful project. The weight of the amp and supply together is about 46 lbs, which is some 100 lbs. less than the stock configuration! Plus, the item's footprint has been significantly reduced.

Frankly, to my ears it sounds as good as the stock config, without the batteries or worries. The supply is dead quiet - I can't detect any hum. If you'd like to hear a highly-rated stereo Class A amplifier, this one is awesome. $599 plus delivery. (packed in two shipping boxes)

PM me with questions or etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW-Front.jpg (185.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Connection.jpg (309.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg PS.jpg (308.9 KB, 156 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!