• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Swap meet forum suggestion for mods?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I think this is the right place forgive me if not.

But a little request to make things easier in the swap meet section.

Could with have separate sub forums for UK, US, Canada, etc, I'll see something I like someone has to sell and I find out it's in the US I just think it'll make browsing the items for sale much more efficient and so result in better sales.

Thanks
Boscoe

ebay links

While we're on the swap meet subject, how about making a rule prohibiting
links to external sales?

I specifically do not like ads that just link to ebay, as I am NOT an ebay
user. And I am sure it generates a lot of traffic / load without adding to our
community.

Look at the recent post by givethisbookahome:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/191841-sennheiser-hd-800-615104102958-4044156002354-audiophile-circumaural-headphones.html

This user has only 2 posts - both links to ebay sales.

Anyone else feel the same way?

-herm

P.S. My apologies to givethisbookahome if you are a upstanding member of
society and participator in our community!

If the eBay links were terribly frequent and irrelevant then I would say sure ban them. So far though I have seen very few and most are relevant. There are also those here who do not use PayPal and will only accept WU, Moneygram, or bank transfer which I would bet many of us are very uncomfortable with...should we ban those users too? At least eBay offers security and recourse should you buy something that turns out to be different than expected. I have personally bought items here that were linked to an eBay auction, they all worked out well for me.
Just my two cents....

If someone links to an ebay auction, the item really isn't for sale here..

Even though I'm an ebay user, I find the "for sale" posts here that link to an Ebay auction a complete waste of time........

If the seller posts a price & pics here and is willing to kill the auction if someone wants to purchase the item, that's OK. In that case, they really don't need to mention that they listed the item on Ebay.

Well, instead of having more and more sub-forums to browse, I would suggest as a good practice for sellers to simply put between brackets the initials of their country in the title?
Best,
Thomas
It would be even better if the forum software can automatically display the OP's country flag on the topic list page (already there are two icons, this can be the third).

So three issues:

eBay listings.
Seller vs buyer locations.
Obsolete listings.

Personally, I believe it's bad form to post a link to an eBay auction without having offered it for sale here first. If a listing doesn't generate any interest within, say, a week, post a link to the eBay auction.

Seller vs Buyer location is a solvable problem. For small stuff, the postal system works quite well. Others may be local pick-up only. In that case simply mentioning the country wouldn't work. I wouldn't drive from Seattle to Washington DC to pick up anything... But a mention of local pickup in XXX place in the subject line would work.

Obsolete listings could be dealt with by the seller posting a message, "SOLD" when the item sells. Maybe "PENDING SALE" during the time the buyer and seller are exchanging payment details, etc.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.