Raindrop Hui TDA1541A DAC Kit - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2011, 05:32 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Same limitations exist.
Old 10th April 2011, 05:39 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Will replacing the passive i/v with an active i/v help?
Old 10th April 2011, 11:29 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmart2b View Post
I would suspect that the clipping is occurring on the digital side of the DAC chip.
It certainly is looking that way from your measurements.

Quote:
If there is not enough bandwidth in the digital receiver then clipping would occur.
If there's not enough bandwidth in the digital receiver then either no signal will be received, or the received signal will be corrupted. In neither case will the result be clipping of the reconstituted analog signal.

Quote:
I will take the Dido CD out to the shop and look at the output across the 50 ohm i/v resistors.
OK, your measurements make sense - the DAC output current max is 4mA, you see 200mV into 50ohms. The supply to the DAC is +/-5V, but that's not a limitation on the signal. When you say 'the peaks disappear' then do you mean you see flat-topped signals (where the tops are +/- 100mV) on your scope?

To answer your final question - if the output signal is being limited by the TDA1541A's output compliance, then active I/V might solve the problem. But the fact that you are getting 200mV p-p signal (as predicted by theory) makes me think this is not the issue - so I'll venture that active I/V will make no difference.
Old 11th April 2011, 12:24 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Since the DAC has a current limit of 4 mv, if the clipping is not in the digital section, shouldn't we be able to raise the voltage and avoid clipping with a properly constructed active i/v?
Old 13th April 2011, 01:04 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I have apprised Mr. Zou of the problem. I am sure he is looking into it now and will get back to me soon.
Old 21st November 2013, 10:07 AM   #26
ctleake is offline ctleake  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I know its a couple of years now since Raindrop Hui's DAC DIR9001+TDA1541 2.0B parallel output OS/NOS | eBay was hot off the market, but I've got one and am about to case it up.

Can anyone point me to any 'mods' necessary for this unit.

Cheers chaps!

Hide this!Advertise here!