• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Raindrop Hui TDA1541A DAC Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would suspect that the clipping is occurring on the digital side of the DAC chip.

It certainly is looking that way from your measurements.

If there is not enough bandwidth in the digital receiver then clipping would occur.

If there's not enough bandwidth in the digital receiver then either no signal will be received, or the received signal will be corrupted. In neither case will the result be clipping of the reconstituted analog signal.

I will take the Dido CD out to the shop and look at the output across the 50 ohm i/v resistors.

OK, your measurements make sense - the DAC output current max is 4mA, you see 200mV into 50ohms. The supply to the DAC is +/-5V, but that's not a limitation on the signal. When you say 'the peaks disappear' then do you mean you see flat-topped signals (where the tops are +/- 100mV) on your scope?

To answer your final question - if the output signal is being limited by the TDA1541A's output compliance, then active I/V might solve the problem. But the fact that you are getting 200mV p-p signal (as predicted by theory) makes me think this is not the issue - so I'll venture that active I/V will make no difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.