• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Problems with Gripracer / Cigarboxaudio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's with a heavy heart that I post this, but I've been ripped off by someone here who is still taking money from people, and I feel it's my duty to warn people about this guy. What follows below is based on a post I just made in Swap Meet.

The guy involved is Ted Wilson, of Atlanta Georgia, goes by the usernames of Gripracer and also Cigarboxaudio (also has an ebay shop in the latter name). I can provide his full address and a genuine phone number to any other victim having problems.

I'm a DIY novice, posted here for advice last Feb, Ted offered to build me some stuff. I'm in the UK, he is in Atlanta, Georgia.

I sent money in Feb for a 'cigar box' DAC ... there were various enhancements we agreed on including output transformers and some component upgrades, so I sent extra cash.

In April i sent more cash for him to do a Shigaclone, and had a donor machine delivered to him. He also offered to do a step-up transformer for me too so I had some Altecs delivered as well.

Anyway after much hassling him (and months of no communication and a very bizzare tale over several months where he said he's shipped, no tracking info, but somehow it showed up back at his house weeks later) I finally got some kit through in November, the DAC and the SUTs.

The SUTs were wrongly wired ...each side wired wrongly, but differently wrongly, quite an achievement! I still haven't been able to make them work. The DAC works but is very badly made ... he may know the theory but his execution of soldering and enclosure-making is very shoddy.

The Shigaclone wasn't part of the shipment as he'd broken the donor board somehow. I sent another donor and am still waiting on my Shigaclone (though he did sent the PSU for it). He says now his paypal account is locked (am I surprised?), so he has no money to ship (though he claims it's fixed) - this latest delay has been going on since November.

I would have posted this long ago but I'm out more than $800 dollars all up including parts and donor machines and I didn't want to completely spoil the chance of getting the Shiga in the end. However I suspect it's too late for that and I'll never own a Shicaclone now, after going 'public'.

I must say I was shocked, as a Brit, my experience of Americans over many years has always been that they are just about the most trustworthy people in the world, but this clown lets your country down very badly!

I've only posted this because I've been in touch with three other people now who have had trouble getting this guy to follow through with promises do deliver projects or components. I don't believe he is deep down a bad guy but he lacks any sense of personal responsibility in following through with what he promises.

At the same time he was messing me around and not answering emails, he was running a competition promoting his business on swap meet (for a free 'Wineclone' as he calls it, an am based on the Red Wine chip amp + batter concept). I raised this with the mods earlier, but held off posting till now. I've now given up any hope of getting my Shigaclone in order to warn other people.

This guy has no place in this or any other hifi community and I would urge people not to deal with him.

Sounds like a crackhead I know who tried to do some home repairs for me. He actually used 18p nails to apply some Sheetrock. Had to spend more money fixing what he "fixed".
Thanks for the info, after I saw all the hype with that Christmas giveaway, I had considered a purchase....glad I didn't do through with it. Sorry it came at your expense.
I am also in a situation with a forum member I am about to out, I purchased a par of Eminance Lab 12 subs from someone who literally threw both of them in a 14" cube box stuffed with a little newspaper. Both arrived wrecked. Frames were cracked on both too where it appeared the screws were over torked on mounting. He claims this occurred during transit. He is attempting a claim with FedEx but the drivers have been out of my possession now for 2 weeks and I have yet to see a single cent of a refund.

Were you able to make any claims with PayPal on the cash you sent this guy?

Frankly, for what he charges for his "mods" and the poor workmanship visible in almost every pic he posts of his stuff; I'm surprised anyone still hands money over to him.

Sorry my bachelor's degree is in music, not engineering and when I started out this it seemed legit (the guy does have knowledge and sends emails like he knows what he's talking about).

It was only when the first bunch of stuff eventually arrived (paid for Feb; arrived November) when I realised that not just was he messing me around over dates but the quality was very poor as well.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Yes, he seemed a bit odd, charging some steep money for his "Time" on simple ebay purchased Tripath boards (that were dirt cheap), by adding a capacitor, cigarbox and battery.

I have had nothing but success working with the members that post in the Vendors Bazzar, and have chanced a few members, who were very new to the site, from China that have come through every time, but this guy was a little too seedy for me. Not that I was ever interested in any of his "Work" anyway....

Sad to say, but deals like this show that the vendor's bazzar can probably use a "feedback" or "honesty index" like ebay...

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear of your plight. I've had nothing but wonderful experiences dealing with other DIYaudio members.
To be fair, everyone now and then has unexpected problems that can interfere with commitments one's made, so I always try to give others the benefit of the doubt. I try to consider their intent.
It appears you've extended every courtesy possible to the other party. It also appears that the other party has not the intention to do the right thing by you.

I'm sure you thought long and hard about your post prior to hitting the "Submit" button.

I was trying to figure out a way to lend you a hand, but being on different continents makes it difficult. I do have one thought: If you can get the other party to pack up all your Shiaclone stuff (in whatever condition it may be in) and send it to me, I'll assemble it for you gratis.
I'm only a few hundred miles from him so I'm sure he can afford to pay for the shipping. If he uses shipping cost as an excuse he can send it shipping collect and I'll pay for it upon delivery.
I must warn you that I have some ups and downs with my health which sometimes slow me down a bit. In the absence of health problems I would normally estimate a week or so to complete it (assuming all the required parts are included or I have them on hand). Given my health issues (just back problems, nothing life threatening!) it will likely take a month or two to complete it. I've read the Shiaclone story here and on the Polish (?) site and it is a pretty simple project. I would have built one for myself but I was unable to find the original JVC boombox it was based on.
As I mentioned, my efforts would be a gift. I would only ask that you pay for the shipping from the US to you when it's finished.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sadly no, the 60 day limit has long expired.

You may have some recourse if you made the PAYPAL purchase with a credit card...puts PAYPAL on the bubble, but hey, that 60 day limit is really bogus.

I NEVER make PAYPAL payments from my Bank Account. You have no protection other than what PAYPAL provides (which is fine, up to the 60 days.).

Last edited:
Hi,
To be fair, everyone now and then has unexpected problems that can interfere with commitments one's made, so I always try to give others the benefit of the doubt. I try to consider their intent.
It appears you've extended every courtesy possible to the other party. It also appears that the other party has not the intention to do the right thing by you.

I was trying to figure out a way to lend you a hand, but being on different continents makes it difficult. I do have one thought: If you can get the other party to pack up all your Shiaclone stuff (in whatever condition it may be in) and send it to me, I'll assemble it for you gratis.
I'm only a few hundred miles from him so I'm sure he can afford to pay for the shipping. If he uses shipping cost as an excuse he can send it shipping collect and I'll pay for it upon delivery.

Ted has actually told me the Shiga has been complete since at least November but he has 'no money' to ship it despite me already paying twice for shipping already (once in my original payment, and again, just to get them delivered, for the components that did eventually come).

Incidentally this was taking place just before Ted's competition' here which was originally posted in Swap Meet though was later moved to the vendor area). I let that ride hoping he would come good with his final promise of delivery before Christmas, but he now admits there was no prospect of that promise ever being met.

Unfortunately Ted has since gone very quiet on me and has not responded to recent emails. Your offer is very much appreciated - my heartfelt thanks for it - but I suspect this particular project is now a dead end.

I have alerted him to this thread - his silence here speaks volumes I think.

I sympathize greatly with the individuals here involved with silent one Ted. With that said, I feel sorry for him even more actually.......that he would expect for what seems like a business endeavor, to take off and be lucrative by treating people this way. Ted if you happen to see this.....I'd suggest doing some reading on statistics for U.S. small business (google should yield some viable results), you'll find that the truly successful ones spend more than 50% of their revenue and manpower on customer service.

I too have been scammed

I had several conversations with "Gripracer" before sending him money for the DAC. His email's to me were very convincing and he sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I've emailed him several times after he received payment - no response. I absolutely love these forums and enjoy much of the trends in the diy world. I was hoping to jump on the bandwagon. Something that is too good to be true usually is. I'm not very upset that he took the money and ran. I'm more upset that an individual is lurking to prey on trusting individuals.

Does anyone know if I can do anything reasonable to stop this guy?

I had several conversations with "Gripracer" before sending him money for the DAC. His email's to me were very convincing and he sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I've emailed him several times after he received payment - no response. I absolutely love these forums and enjoy much of the trends in the diy world. I was hoping to jump on the bandwagon. Something that is too good to be true usually is. I'm not very upset that he took the money and ran. I'm more upset that an individual is lurking to prey on trusting individuals.

Does anyone know if I can do anything reasonable to stop this guy?

I have been gathering names and stories (there are a few, including others outside the US) and have investigated contacting law enforcement, however I do consider this something of a nuclear option!

There are a couple of web portals - a GA state one and a federal one - where internet crime can be reported and dealt with by local law enforcement. I assume the state one is the correct place (unless there is evidence of mail fraud which, in fact there might be in my case as there was a whole yarn spun about a missing package that mysteriously turned up again at his house after several months - no tracking number, natch!).

Big step though. The job of warning people off has been largely done, he is certainly not doing any more business via this site for sure.

Does anyone have more detailed contact information for DrRick (like a mobile number or something)? I had a very nice Shiga project sent to him (a different one I bought off Swap Meet) for a fairly minor bit of work, on 22 January.

Prior to sending he seemed most helpful and generous (see his posts above). However since shipping, he's pretty much gone to ground, in over three months, just one PM and one email back from him, the last one on 31 March (and nothing since).

I got through ONCE on the home phone number he gave me but since then it always rings out - caller display I guess. No reply to many many messages by PM, email and on his answerphone.

The guy has health problems precluding him working some days, but this degree of unresponsiveness is not explained by that.

I hope there is some other explanation but it's looking like I've been ripped off AGAIN by someone on this board. I guess I'm an idiot for being too trusting.

Any info on the guy would be appreciated.

Does anyone have more detailed contact information for DrRick (like a mobile number or something)? I had a very nice Shiga project sent to him (a different one I bought off Swap Meet) for a fairly minor bit of work, on 22 January.

Prior to sending he seemed most helpful and generous (see his posts above). However since shipping, he's pretty much gone to ground, in over three months, just one PM and one email back from him, the last one on 31 March (and nothing since).

I got through ONCE on the home phone number he gave me but since then it always rings out - caller display I guess. No reply to many many messages by PM, email and on his answerphone.

The guy has health problems precluding him working some days, but this degree of unresponsiveness is not explained by that.

I hope there is some other explanation but it's looking like I've been ripped off AGAIN by someone on this board. I guess I'm an idiot for being too trusting.

Any info on the guy would be appreciated.

I was ripped off in the earlier days of the internet. I had some success with the following:

Calling the local police department for his address. Sometimes you get a sympathetic officer.

Filing a small claims case. All you need is the fellow's address. While appearing might not be worthwhile from the UK, for $800 I'd do a lot to recover my money. The cost is usually ~$10 and can often be done over the web. In my case the other party settled by sending the full amount rather than go to court.

Finally, while I would not condone any unlawful activity, some folks "spoof" their caller ID to get through to people ducking them. There are internet services for such things.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.