• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

BG Neo3 PDR ribbons...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

CV

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Andrea,

Correct - the ones I have are the "raw" driver - no faceplate.

They certainly don't have to be used as dipoles; just be sure to control the backwave if you are using them as monopoles.

As for shipping/payment, I'm not setup on PayPal (it's high time I were...)- if someone wanted to take the whole lot, I've got a couple of friends who are setup, but I wouldn't want to pester them with lots of little orders.

Actually, I'd gladly take Euros sent by registered mail, if that suits, as I'll probably be visiting Europe in a few months time. If not, I'll happily swap them for a couple of bottles of Barolo :)

Posting a pair of Neos to Italy wouldn't cost much at all - they're very thin and could be quite safely packed in a large envelope.

Best,
cv

CV

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Actually Frank, there is a version with a backchamber where the response is extended relative to the dipole; waterfall and sonics not quite as clean apparently. I'd guess constructive interference/resonance at the very top extending the response to 40k.

But in any case, just curious - why would boxing a dipole give an earlier LF rolloff?

I was planning to use these as a line array, all in series, to give a nice 80-100 ohm load for OTLs, so at least you'd approve of the amp choice :)

cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I'd guess constructive interference/resonance at the very top extending the response to 40k.

If the membrane does this naturally then fine.
If not then what you see on the frequency plot are resonances and reflection from the back of the chamber.

Either way I was just pointing out the risks involved.

If you check on the B&G website you'll see that the boxed versions only reach to 18KHz.
This is to be expected since, in order to avoid exciting resonances, they need to use damping which inevitably takes away energy at the top frequencies.

FWIW I use a ribbon tweeter in my speakers as well, not a dipole though.
Actually since you're in the U.K you may know them: SD Acoustics SD1. It's the first one they made from the mid-eighties.

The tweeter is a unit from Visaton, it's out of production now but the one they're still manufacturing is very close, maybe even better.

I was planning to use these as a line array, all in series, to give a nice 80-100 ohm load for OTLs, so at least you'd approve of the amp choice :)

That's a lot of unit's in series.:cool:
BTW, the OTL would be just as happy driving an 8 Ohm resistive load, even 4 Ohm would be fine.
That's the beauty of ribbons, they're so easy on the amp...

I won't mention a certain U.S. brand, of course.:rolleyes:

So, you gave up on the speaker project and the OTL or just one of them?

Cheers,;)

CV

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Frank,

Yeah - I concur, nice smooth resistive load - even if the absolute impedance level is difficult, the frequency response with an OTL will still be smooth. I was thinking 6C33 SRPP into 100 ohms would make quite a nice treble amp...small coupling caps too.

Why I'm looking to sell? Well, I was planning to use the tweeters in conjunction with ESL mids cos I was afraid the amps I've got planned wouldn't drive the ESLs into the treble (slew and frequency response). Some preliminary experiments indicate that I should be ok; and if not, I've been looking for an excuse to build a plasma tweeter for ages....

That, and I need the cash...

best,
cv

CV

Joined 2002
Paid Member
capslock said:
i is indeed improved. Apparently, they have slightly thicker magnets. PE is still selling off the old stuff. In fact, the only outlet I know of that sells the new version is Proraum in Germany.

Regards,

Eric

Interesting - would be curious to see what the new curves look like. I see on Proraum's site that they claim that the "i" stands for improved... whilst the new transducers may well be, I'll bet that's not what BG think it stands for :)

Anyway, they want Eu79 each, if any Line Array fans are interested in purchasing the lot, I'd be happy to let them go for less than a third of that (each of course...)

cheers
cv

The designer of the Neos confirmed better performance. There were magazine reviews of both the FP and raw versions in the German magazines HobbyHifi and Klang und Ton. I have scans if anybody is interested.

Why would anyone want to use the Neo3 for a line array? Top end extension of the Neo8 is ok in a line array configuration, and it is cheaper and goes lower.

Regards,

Eric

CV

Joined 2002
Paid Member
capslock said:
The designer of the Neos confirmed better performance. There were magazine reviews of both the FP and raw versions in the German magazines HobbyHifi and Klang und Ton. I have scans if anybody is interested.

Why would anyone want to use the Neo3 for a line array? Top end extension of the Neo8 is ok in a line array configuration, and it is cheaper and goes lower.

Regards,

Eric

You said it yourself, the top end of the neo8 is "ok" in a line array - but the Neo3s is more extended. Superb reproduction of brushed cymbals etc. I've seen plots of Neo8s in a line array which are down around 12db at 20kHz - not for me.

The other rationale behind using the Neo3s is that one could connect them in series and get around 80-100 ohms impedance which would be nice for a custom OTL amp (that's what I had planned originally).

But I agree with you that if you need to crossover *low*, the Neo8s are a better bet.

bank transfer

Hi CV,

the UK is a European Union member, even if one might not think so these days when reading the news. The European Commission has forced banks to charge their customers the same rate as for domestic transfers, provided the volume is below 12500 €, IBAN (international bank account number) and BIC (bank identification code) are used, and the costs are in SHARE mode, i.e. sender bears outgoing charges and receiver bears incoming charges.

For my bank account, as I didn't have to pay for outgoing and incoming domestic transfers before this rule was introduced, the same is now true for EU transfers. I don't know what the customary rate in the UK is, but it should no be more than a few pence.

So if you can find out your account's IBAN and BIC, this might be an easy way to deal with payment.

So, back to your Neos: when and where did you get them (or what are the serial numbers)? I have a pair purchased from Parts Express last summer, and they were pretty sloppy workmanship (magnets not aligned with the holes in the case, superglue spilled all over the magnets and partially over the case). When I brought another pair from my visit this spring, workmanship was much better, but it was still the non-i version.

I might be interested in 1-3 pairs, depending on price and condition of the parts. Why don't you email me (preferably to eva "at" zeiss "dot" de) how much you'd ask including shipping? Where are you going on holidays this summer? This might be a way to even avoid international shipping.

Regards,

Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.