• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Purple Speaker (8") Widebander: $10 Oddball

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As part of the batch of $18, 8" fullranger speakers described here, I ended up with a single speaker that has a plain dustcap (no whizzer). It was used for testing at the factory, and is functionally perfect.

With just the dustcap, it has a response very similar to the curve in the thread, and you can see that it needs a tweeter above 7khz or so. (The actual response with the dustcap is a little smoother than that graph, as a peak and dip towards the top are due to a resonance across the open round voice coil). There are plenty of things you could do with this guy:

1: maybe you only need a single widebander
2: cut a whizzer (I can supply) into a dustcap and accept the cosmetic difference (and slight response difference)
3: cut the dustcap off and glue on a whizzer, thus making it like another
4: use it for general testing or goofing around

But, given its weird nature, I can't sell it along with the pack, so it is yours for $10. If you want a mate for options 2 or 3, I'll knock $3 of it's price so you get the pair for $25 (and, of course, include whizzers). I haven't taken a pic yet, so imagine this speaker but with a rounded black paper dustcap and no whizzer. You get the idea. I figure it'll ship to the lower 48 for $10. A mate would make shipping the standard $13.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Attachments

• backs_jpg.jpg
    backs_jpg.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 154
  • M_whizz.jpg
    M_whizz.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 148
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.