• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Adire Audio Tempest EBS subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I built a Tempest EBS subwoofer almost a year ago, and it is great, but I am moving to a new apartment now. I want to either sell the whole thing, or just sell the enclosure, and keep the driver. The enclosure is 3/4" 13-layer birch plywood covered in 1/4" birch plywood. It is built to the exact dimensions of the design on the Adire Audio website.

Here are pictures:
http://brian.darg.net/tempest

Here is what I paid for the thing:
$150 for driver
$21 x 2 = $42 for ports
$100+ for the wood

The problem with it is that it is too big and too heavy and provides to much bass for an apartment. It goes very low and rattles everything in the apartment, making neighbors angry ;)

If someone in the Atlanta, GA Area wants it, I will let it go for $200 for the entire thing, or $50 for just the cabinet.

The enclosure needs to be finished, possibly by putting wood trim around the edges. I tried to roundover the plywood on 2 of the edges, and it splintered a bit, but the thing could be made quite good looking with some simple wood trim around the edges, as others have done. A simple stain on the birch plywood should come out rather nicely.

I would prefer someone to pick up this thing from me, but I can deliver if you live close by. I need to get rid of it asap, as I need to be out of my apartment by the end of july.

--
Brian

Attachments

• tempest.jpg
    tempest.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 288
Joined 2002
Here is the current view of it (stuff temporarily on top during moving). I didn't put feet on it yet, and there is some glue that needs to be sanded off. If someone in the Atlanta, GA area wants it, I can help then move it, and help them finish it. If someone is thinking about getting one in the future, $50 for the enclosure (without driver and ports) will allow you to simply drop $150 + $21 x 2 at an Adire Audio retailer and make the sub later.

I really want to keep the subwoofer, but I am moving in with my fiance, and she tells me that she won't have it, and that I need to keep my smaller sealed Shiva subwoofer instead... :(

You can see where I tried to roundover the plywood in this picture, and some decorative trim would cover this up rather nicely.

Note: The stuff on the side is glue that can easily be sanded off. I was impressed by the depth and amount of bass that this sub offered that I never took it back out of my setup to finish it.

--
Brian

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 276
Joined 2002
The only deviation from the plans on Adire's website is that I made the bottom 1.5" thick, and countersinked the driver and ports flush. This makes the bottom look nicer, and probably more rigid. The 13-layer plywood is quite strong.

Plans here:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/VentedTempestApplications.PDF
under EBS enclosure

If no one takes it by the end of next week (July 25th), I will keep the drivers and ports, and simply give the cabinet away to the first person who requests it for free, assuming they come pick it up from me. I live in the city, right next to Georgia Tech.

Please help me out. I don't want to have to put cabinet in the dumpster, which will happen if I don't get rid of it by the end of the month.

--
Brian

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 271
Joined 2002
I forgot the specs of the design from Adire Audio's website:

"340 liter EBS alignment tuned to 15.8Hz using two Adire FP-4 vents with a center tube length of 12" and stuffed with 64oz. of polyfill. Good for audio listening applications. "

and

"The EBS design for Tempest is a traditional extended bass response alignment. This alignment provides deep bass extension at the expense of maximum SPL capability. It provides anechoic extension to the mid teens, and due to the roll-off well below 20 Hz maintains an accurate sonic character. Overall, the sonic character of this alignment is of neutral, natural bass (thanks to a group delay of less than 20 ms at 20 Hz), with very good extension and SPL capability. This alignment excels at reproduction of acoustic bass signals (such as from acoustic string basses, cellos, tympanis, and especially pipe organs)."

340L = 12 cu ft.

I played around with the enclosure, modeling it in LSPcad and Perfect Box, and it models well, and definately goes below 20hz.

Here is what LSPcad outputs (set to 1w/1m)

--
Brian

Attachments

• resp.gif
    resp.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 257
Lyle Lovette

I really want to keep the subwoofer, but I am moving in with my fiance, and she tells me that she won't have it,

And that was my first mistake.

Really, guy. I don't know you at all, but I do know you have a serious audio jones. Me too. Don't have the fiance anymore.

Joined 2002
Re: Lyle Lovette

Sawzall said:

I really want to keep the subwoofer, but I am moving in with my fiance, and she tells me that she won't have it,

And that was my first mistake.

Really, guy. I don't know you at all, but I do know you have a serious audio jones. Me too. Don't have the fiance anymore.

She doesn't mind all my speakers, and other subwoofer, but this one is too big, and I don't have a place to put it.

--
Brian

Joined 2002
Here is a size comparison of the 15" tempest ported sub compared to the 12" shiva sealed sub replacing it.

The large sub has 7.5 2'x4' sheets of 3/4" 13 layer birch plywood, and 2.5 2'x4' sheets of 1/4" 5 layer birch plywood. It is heavy and solid.

--
Brian

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 194
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.