• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New 22u/16V WIMA film caps MKS2-XL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes, the rare but very good MKS2-XL series and also the largest value available in MKT 5 mm. Ideal replacements for electrolytic caps and possibly a worthy BG alternative.

They are out of production for some months now and they won't be in production again according Wima because of shortage of raw materials.

6,50 Euro a piece ex shipping.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, I have been busy but your caps are on their way. All is well, I hope you are OK too.

BTW I did a test (again) with these 22/16 MKS2-XL and when I tried them in a AK4396 DAC I could not hear a real difference when I DC coupled the DAC or when I used the Wima's as series capacitors. For a moment I thought I preferred the DAC with the caps but after switching both situations several times made clear that the difference was very very small. Too small to notice and too small for a description what the difference would be.

That means they're good IMO.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, if you are curious: I have one of the Ebay AK4396 DACs for sale. I already exchanged the caps for Black Gate caps, replaced the regs for known good ones and added a heatsink to the 12V reg. Also nearly all MKT caps were replaced for known good ones and a LME49860 was soldered in. Decoupling was improved. The LEDs have been removed and connectors were soldered so that building it into a case will be easier. If you are into the AKM DACs this might be a good entry as it sounds quite good now but it still isn't a match for my other DACs (those are more expensive/technically more advanced etc).

This AK4396 DAC is of the few that has BG caps ;) It has the original R core transformer which is of exceptional good quality. R core transformers tend to hum but this one is absolutely silent. More silent than any toroid I know of.

I will be busy with other projects.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.