• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

PCM1704 DAC for sale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In order to finance my non-oversampling projects, I decided to sell this David Broadhurst design based DAC. It's using CS8420, PDF1704 and parallel PCM1704 DAC chips (four in total, grade K).
Power supply featuring 6 split bobbin transformers, stack in pairs, for digital part (basically every chip and DAC's analog and digital side and the clock are using separate transformers with it's own full wave, soft recovery rectifiers). Digital PS contain 20 Sprague 1,800u Extralytics, which I believe is a best grade from Sprague.

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,324
There are four PCM1704 DACs (2 per channel in parallel). They are treated as one as they are piggy backed on ea other with separate bypasses. Ea. channel's DAC analog and digital supply have separate reg. for a total of 8 LT (1085 and 1033) regulators. They are installed under the main PCB. As you notice I'm using Vishay resistors for I/V conversion, most of the resistors are Holcos with some Dales RN60, some MIT bypasses and MIT RTX input coupling caps (despite big size they sounded the best).
All bypass electrolytics are either Panasonic HFQ, Black Gates or Nichicon Gold.

I also did triple bypassing on all chips and the info is posted here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6232&highlight=mods+never+end

Attachments

• d6.jpg
    d6.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,108
What really suprises me about this project is that although I spent a lot of money and time trying to improve and tweak it, a simple non-oversampling DAC, with carefull attention to PS filtering and reclocking implemented, sounds better than the above posted effort using oversampling approach.

I still believe that this DAC could be further improved, by using different receiver and digital filter, or modifying existing setup and also improving the output stage, but for me it just doesn't appeal anymore.

My recent projects with non-oversampling designs show that this is actually more natural sounding approach and this is what I will pursue currently. I know there are many people who dismiss the non oversampling designs and maybe this DAC would be of interest to them. I'm not posting price and I'm open to offers.;)

DAC Sound

Peter Daniel said:
What really suprises me about this project is that although I spent a lot of money and time trying to improve and tweak it, a simple non-oversampling DAC, with carefull attention to PS filtering and reclocking implemented, sounds better than the above posted effort using oversampling approach.

I still believe that this DAC could be further improved, by using different receiver and digital filter, or modifying existing setup and also improving the output stage, but for me it just doesn't appeal anymore.

My recent projects with non-oversampling designs show that this is actually more natural sounding approach and this is what I will pursue currently. I know there are many people who dismiss the non oversampling designs and maybe this DAC would be of interest to them. I'm not posting price and I'm open to offers.;)
Hi Peter,
I am still as surprised as you are!.
Recently I had on audition in my home a Arcam Full Metal Jacket CD33 CDP and a Marantz SA17S1. The Marantz had a anomanaly in bass on CD's but sounded sweet on SACD.
The Arcam sounded like a typical upsampler, full of highs but NOT musical. My Philips CD-650/TDA1543 had the best bass and the most musical and natural sound. Too bad for my dealer, nothing sold.....
Will try a Audionote CD2 from an other dealer soon. Bizarre that it has a CS8414 on board!
;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.