• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

looking for a foam piece for 8"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a piece of outer foam for a 8" speaker. All i need is one!.
I looked in all the catalogs and they don't sell just one. i don't don't want five! (you know that felling?) well if you have one i'll pay shipping and a little xtra;) so what's that thing called? i forget.

Hello Bobcat190,

The piece you are looking for is the surround. You will also need a new dustcap and some very special glue.

It is not a terribly hard process to replace the surround , but it takes a few times before you end up with a result that looks good.

I would do a search on google for 'foam surrounds' , or maybe speaker surrounds. You should be able to find a place that will sell you all the supplies needed.

Cheers

KevinLee:)

Hey thats it surround thing ya. well i'll use the old dust cap and some school gule. i ain't the kind of guy that buys new stuff. i got the speaker i want to fix out of someones trash or some thing it was free i know that. well just if any of you out there have a 8" surrounder thing let me know---------------Thanks Bob

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
If the surround is just split in a couple of places, you can try the old PA bodge.

Use rubber based adhesive, (one type is known in the UK as Copydex, I'm sure there are similar types over the pond), and two layers of household tissue or toilet roll, overlapping the split by about 1/2 inch, and dabbing a good layer of glue over the tissue. This isn't perfect, but it will work on a temporary basis, and longer term if you don't push your drivers hard.

just a few things....

A) why would anyone give you something?
B) why would anyone have what you want them to give you?
C) why would you bother fixing someone elses trash?
D) why would you SPEND MONEY fixing trash?
E) why would you waste time on something like this?
F) you probably can't use the old dust cap....
G) if you really wanna use this/these driver(s) then just mount them firing upwards.. :)

A) i'm willing to pay some.
B) a lot of people here build speakers and might have a few.
C) i love trash!!!!!!!
D) hey it's a nice speaker that needs one piece.
E) i got time.
F) dust cap is fine.
G) well it's not a paper speaker and it has a lot of move and will rattle at any angle.
the thing is a like to fix crap! i love crap fixing. :cool: ya

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.