• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Gold plated or Rhodium plated connectors are better

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
A lot of boutique Japanese manufacturers use nothing but nickel-plated brass for their connectors and interconnects. Even on the highest-end Shindo aplifiers, all you see is regular nickel sockets and plastic-capped binding posts, nothing fancy at all.

I've been using regular Switchcraft nickel-plated RCAs with silver and/or silver-copper alloy wires twisted together (similar to what Shindo does with theirs) and the results are simply stunning. I get a local jeweller to make the wire, sleeve it with some cloth and solder the (very basic) RCAs to it.

More than sound, I think the plating affects the life and corrosion resistance, and therefore durability of the plug/socket. Gold plated connectors seem to dull or wear out, the Rhodium plating on the Cardas I also use seems to look like new even after hundreds of insertions. I think that the better contact and durability plays a bigger role in the sound quality than absolute properties of the metal itself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.