• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Partidge output transformer, potted, fantastic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CFB/0/1.7 - this is the fabulous Partridge output transformer. Tested but not used.

One of the greatest audio output transformers ever. This is a Partridge potted CFB/0/1.7 high-end unit, not like some of the open winding units you see now and then for sale. I suppose it can be called vintage but there is nothing out of date about it, given the care in designing and producing a unit with a harmonic distortion core figure of .05%.

Comes with original brochure, spec sheets, and original price list (slightly worn and taped), some parts of which can also be seen at:

Index of /~barkow/other tech stuff/hi-fi tech

Includes a letter to me from the factory in 1967, after I bought it from Harvey Radio Co., 43rd Street, in New York City.

Sorry, only one available. But what a great electric guitar, bass, keyboard, or mixed-bass woofer or subwoofer it would make. You may never see one of these on sale again.

Never in service. But I've tried out the unit and soldered wires briefly to the terminals for testing but otherwise, like new. All windings seem intact as measured by an ohmmeter and case, although scratched a bit as pictures show, has not been dropped (despite the great weight!).

It's on eBay for the next 9 days.

Partridge audio output transformer for tubes CFB/0/1.7 - eBay (item 230482062467 end time Jun-10-10 11:53:45 PDT)

such a pity there is only 1 :(

Yes. Thanks for your interest.

As far as this type of transformer for construction, my focus was bass and esp. with motional feedback derived from putting the driver in a bridge configuration rather than a feedback signal from an accelerometer.

I don't know how much debate there is on the topic, but mixing channels in the bass below, say, 80 Hz is indistinguishable from having two woofers (I used a crossover to mixed-bass at 140 Hz for many years happily). So then you only need to worry about securing/building one profound bass speaker (say, a Klipschorn) instead of two. And need only one Partridge transformer.

Likewise, this transformer might find a home in some kind of cosmically superior electric guitar amp.

oh I just mean for my purposes, absolutely just because there is only 1 doesnt mean its of no use. I only wish I could justify buying it to use as part of a tube saturation effect and additional filter for my Moog bass synth (minimoog).

directionality is harder to tell with low bass, but it is still there. if I were building a muichannel rig for a room larger than my home, I would definitely be wanting a second sub, but smaller rooms like in most houses I think the sound this thing would put out would make up for it and do just as well. plus its a part of history as well, I like technology that has a story to tell. whoever buys it will enjoy I would think.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.