• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: Eton 8-800 (pair), Eton 8-472 and custom speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Drivers are new. I would like $150 a pair. Speakers I would also like $150 a pair. I can write more about the speakers in the slim chance some one is interested in them. The 8-800's need to be replaced in them, if you want them to look normal, but they will sound the more or less same. I actually have phase plugs, I remembered just now, that would go in the center of the drivers in the speakers. Eton bass is just awesome sounding, isn't it? I could be wrong. I think these 2-way speakers might sound better than my 3-way Scan-Speak system I just build. I had to post large or medium images. I couldn't get the clickable thumbnails code to work.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned this earlier, but I was drinking when I posted my thread and it's kind of hard to put into words. The Eton 8-472 drivers, before I bought them, might have been stored face to face, so the cones were pushed in and when I got them they were stuck in that position. So i left them upside down for a couple of months with 2 C batteries on the back of the cone. Rotating the batteries every week. Now they are kind of in the proper position, but still might have a slight tendency to go back to this pushed in position. But if left for another month upside down with a small amount of weight on the back of the cones, they will probably be right in the middle, which is really where they are now. I have to inspect them closer, if some one wants further detail on this.

I should mention madisound.com offers to recone the 8-800s: "A complete factory re-cone including labor is $66.25."

I love the Eton 8-800 in a 2-way. They just sound so much "faster" in the bass than any 2-way I can think of. The cross-over uses 12 gauge air-core inductors, metal oxide resistors and I forget what kind of caps, but they are . . . poly film? Front baffle is 1.5" MDF. Sides are .75" and heavily braced. Inside is filled with a cement/sand mixture. Tweeters are MB Quart, dual magnet I think.

Here's some pics to explain what I did with the Eton 8-472s. The cone was pushed in due to incorrect storage, when I received them, so to counteract this I put some C batteries behind the cone and stored them upside down in the correct Styrofoam spacers. And rotated the batteries every week for a couple of months, as you can see from the first picture to the second picture. Now you can see the spider in the last two pictures is flat, but they might need to be stored like this for another month or two just in case. Some one who knows what they are talking (or typing) about please feel free to tell us your opinion on how this might affect the drivers performance.

Last edited:
Here are more pics of the Eton 8-800s for your discerning eye:

Last edited:
All that is left is my speakers, lol :D Guess no one wants those. You can get "A complete factory re-cone including labor is $66.25" a piece from madisound.com for the Eton 8-800 drivers. With paint and the recone these speakers would sound and look pretty awesome. They sound fine without a recone, just don't look that great to most people. I also have phase plugs for the middle of the drivers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.