Magnavox CDB-582, TDA1541A based CD player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2010, 04:59 AM   #1
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Magnavox CDB-582, TDA1541A based CD player

I'm up to four CD players with TDA1541 (or 1541A) DAC's. This one might be the prettiest. It is in excellent cosmetic shape (a few scratches on the top) and is complete with the original power cord and remote. This is a Philips built unit from Belgium. The 582 is one of the simpler models with the renowned DAC, which is, IMO, a good thing. I usually disconnect the extra stuff (circuits for programing, variable outputs, etc), but here you don't have too! It has a big pretty display (I think). This is the TDA1541A chip, despite the fact that some lists have the 582 with the earlier non-A version.

I used this unit for a few weeks, and it is dead stock. It would be very easy to mod it to run NOS (non-oversampling), and/or perform many basic tweaks (output stage, power supply, etc). This one hasn't been used much, so it could last for a very long time (given their age, there are plenty of units floating around whose transports are on their last legs). I had a $50 price tag on it at the show today. Here, I'll say $40. I'll try and get pics up soon. I may be out of town for awhile after this week, so don't wait!

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 31st March 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think this player is a prettier alternative to the Philips/Marantz CD-40, CD-50 and CD-60. This case might be easier to deal with. I should mention too that old Philips transports are much quieter than the modern DVD player junk. I'd consider hooking an outboard 1541 DAC to my Toshiba DVD player, but I could never tolerate the noise. These old players are a great complete package that responds really well to tweaks and mods. Stock, I think they demolish the popular Sony Playstation PS1 (SCPH-1001). I sold my Philips 963SA SACD/DVD player in favor of a similar unit! One quick bump, as I'm headed out tomorrow night.

Paul
Old 1st April 2010, 05:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sold.

Paul
Old 29th April 2012, 12:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Is there interest in these still? I have one that seems to work. I haven't hooked the audio yet but it powers up and reads a disc which is surprising. it seems it has had a SPDIF coax RCA jack added to it. which is interesting. this had the CDM4 transport in it I think. IF it works that could be interesting.
Old 29th April 2012, 02:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I get the occasional email about them. I think many had SPDIF jacks stock. I saw a couple of 1541 players in a thrift store a couple weeks back. I'd love to pass them around, but alas, I just don't have the time right now.

Paul
Old 5th February 2013, 02:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default mods.

Hi,
Did you ever publish your mods on the Magnavox? I'd like to convert the 4X oversampling to NOS. Thanks!
Old 5th February 2013, 03:13 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I didn't write anything up. It is really easy, though. A little googling will be all you need. The PCB mods are awfully easy. It takes more time to get the board out and back in than to do the actual mod.

Paul
Old 7th March 2013, 08:02 PM   #8
bp121 is offline bp121  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Manual

Do you happen to still have a CDB 582? If so, is there anyway for me to get a copy of the manual for it? I've been searching everywhere and can't find a manual for mine...

Hide this!Advertise here!