• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Planar Magnetic Drivers - Carver and Monsoon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two very different examples of planar magnetic drivers here.

Monsoon Planar midrange panels
I have 8 of these panels harvested from the old Monsoon MM-1000 speakers. They have been pulled from the cosmetic shell and are now just bare drivers. These were intended for a mini-array project that never quite got off the ground. I'd strongly prefer selling as a single lot rather than piecing them out. I sanity checked each driver and they all seem to work OK. As you can see, 2 are black and the rest are grey. There is a bit of duct tape residue on a couple of the grey ones left over from a waveguide experiment a couple years ago (a rather successful one, actually)

$125 for all 8. If I get significant interest in piecing them out I'll consider $40/pr.

Carver Planer Magentic drivers
I would STRONGLY prefer local pick-up in Denver on these. Pricing reflects this, plus with local pick up you can have the test baffles shown in the photo, plus the 8 midbass drivers that also fit the baffle (Stryke SA-071) at no added charge.

These are the 60" planar drivers back from the old bass-list days. Used in the Carver Platinums as well as in one of the big Genesis models. Similar to the BG RD-series drivers, they're wider which gives them the ability to play a bit lower, but also causes more issues in the treble. Many folks used these without tweeters covering from as low as 250Hz on up with quite good results (Carver used them without tweeters I believe), but they are probably best used as true midrange drivers from ~500 to 5k or so. Capable of true reference quality when used correctly. I've had these for about 10 years during which time they were used in a prototype form for a year or two, but have been stored mounted in the baffles as shown for the last 8 years or so (since moving to our new place which is too small for them)

$350/pr for local pickup (plus the extra freebies)
$450/pr if I have to ship. This includes packing, but actual shipping will apply on top.

Attachments

• monsoon.JPG
    monsoon.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 238
  • carver.JPG
    carver.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 230
Dwk123,

I am interested in the Monsoon drivers you have, but I did have a few questions. Are these the dipole design or do the drivers have backs to them? Awhile back, there was a bad batch of these drivers, they would cut in and out. You said you tested these, did you notice any of this cutting in and out on these drivers? I assume payment would be by Paypal. Can you tell me what the final cost would be, including shipping to 53142?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.