Aluminum heatsinks for DIY - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Aluminum heatsinks for DIY

Hey guys

I have a big bunch of aluminum heat sinks that you could probably use for DIY cooling. Originally, these are Socket 478 Intel CPU box heat sinks + fans (12V, included if you need them). They have been sitting around from a friend's business which closed down years ago.

I was referred here by a forum member on forums.anandtech.com, a big computer hardware forum. These aren't very useful for computers at this point, as they don't mount on the modern motherboards, but should be perfect for your needs. With a fan, each of these could easily dissipate something like 75-100W. Passively, I am guessing 40W.

My online trading history is spotless - [ HEATWARE.com ] - and I am paypal verified. I live in Vancouver, Canada. Let me know your location and I can calculate the shipping cost. Prices below are BEFORE shipping.

5 for $25 ($5 each)
10 for $40 ($4 each)
20 for $60 ($3 each)
50 for $125 ($2.5 each)
100 for $200 ($2 each)

I want to sell 5+ together at a time, otherwise it would just take too long and involve too much hassle.

Some photos:
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

If there is interest, I can take the fans off and take more photos.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

$AUD5 is what my local computer shop sells them at, I would have rated them a little lower than 25W passive in silver, maybe 30 in black matt.

Fine for little chip amps, are they mounted with the little springs? as those are hard to remove without damaging the heat pad.

Regards
Ted
Old 11th March 2010, 10:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
$AUD5 is what my local computer shop sells them at, I would have rated them a little lower than 25W passive in silver, maybe 30 in black matt.

Fine for little chip amps, are they mounted with the little springs? as those are hard to remove without damaging the heat pad.

Regards
Ted
I think heat sinks dissipate the same amount of heat regardless of the color. Color has no effect on cooling by convection (or forced convection with a fan). The amount of heat actually radiated at low temperatures is very negligible, compared to the amount of heat removed by convection - maybe 1%? A layer of paint would make convection less effective, as it would be a slight insulator, negating any improvements and probably making it worse on the whole.

The base is flat, and there is no mounting which is permanently attached. All the plastic (fan + mounting clips) come off easily, leaving a pure aluminum heatsink.

As far as how much they can dissipate, that would depend on the temperature. I guess with 40W it would sit at around 100C with absolutely no air movement. At 30W, probably 75C or so. Just guesses on my part.
Old 15th March 2010, 05:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I still have these, so send me a message. If you are looking for something like this, I can be flexible on price as long as you buy a dozen or more.

Hide this!Advertise here!