• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: DAC output transformers - Onectics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wiring diagrams

Hi Guys - good to hear that you got the transformers OK.

Below you will find the schematic, the pinout and a photo.
Basically all you need to know is that the input and output (+) sides are in opposite corners.
Pin 1 is a little closer to pin 2 than the others. That's the key.

You connect the output of your voltage DAC chip directly to pins 1&5 (input) and your cable or connector going to the amp/preamp to pins 5&8 (output). The output can be balanced or unbalanced, however you like.

Depending on you system, you may have to connect the (-) output pin to DAC ground to kill hum. If yo don't have to, that's great, but some systems want the DAC and amp grounds connected.

That's it, simple!

Attachments

• xformer_wire.jpg
    xformer_wire.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 400
  • TRANSFORMER-PINOUT.png
    TRANSFORMER-PINOUT.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 398
  • transformer-schema.png
    transformer-schema.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 392
thanks muchly michael, was impossible to find any sort of datasheet and the last pics werent that revealing and only showed one set of 4 pins. so you use them as part of a sort of interconnect yeah? cut out the middle men so to speak. if I didnt have more than one target in mind I think thats what I would do too, either that or install them at the input of the amp and wire direct outs from the dac

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Francesco - I have not used these transformers with the TDA1549, but they should work just fine if there is no DC on the outputs of the chip. Looking at the datasheet, there does not seem to be.

So in that case you would connect the TDA1549 left output (pin 4) to the + pin of the transformer (pin 1) and the ground to transformer pin 4.
Same for the right channel, pin 7 of the DAC goes to pin 1 of the transfo.

Cost for 2 to Italy is $98.88 US.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just a few notes on what the transformer does.

1. It blocks DC that rides on the outputs of voltage DACs. This DC needs to be blocked from getting to the next stage. It can be done with a cap, but I find that transformers sound better. (in blind A/B tests)
  2. It acts as a low pass filter. Noise that is far out of the audio band does not get thru the transformer.
  3. Because of the above the subjective sound of the transformer tends to be more "analog" than most digital sources.

In measurements I've found that the transformer output has much less distortion , especially odd order distortion, in the top end than typical opamp output stages. It sounds smoother. There is also a nice sense of decay after the notes. Soundstage seems larger.

But mostly they are just a pleasure to listen to. And so easy to use. Pop in a pair, sit back and enjoy the music. =)

mine arrived today, as described. I have not hooked them up to anything yet, but will update when I do. the actual target for these wont be ready for a little while, but I will try them on a couple other dacs in the meantime to get a feel for them and any tweaks that might improve matters further. one thing though...less distortion? seems to be contrary to every single bit of info I have including spec sheets for high quality transformers. if there is one thing one thing quality opamp stages well implemented with proper decoupling do well, its low distortion, sounding subjectively better of course is another thing entirely and from all reports (well maybe not all) they've got that in spades.

thanks again Michael

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Glad you got them!

As far as distortion, yes, transformers have more distortion harmonic in the low end than opamps. But my measurements show they have much less in the top end. So they sound different.

The subjective results have been near universal. They sound better. Quite why that is, I'm not sure, but most folks prefer them over opamp outputs.

I finally got around to properly installing these transformers. My impression was mixed at first but after a few days I really like the sound. I had to remove the old output stage to make space so I can not do an A/B comparison.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
Not open for further replies.