• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Anyone have a built-up DAC they want to sell?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm hopeless with a soldering iron but love DIY stuff ...

I was persuaded recently to part with a Peter Daniel Audiosector NOS dac which I really miss now :(

Anyone got a comparable NOS DAC they are willing to part with (especially one with its 'bits' on display - like the Audiosector or the Altmann Attraction)?

I'll build you a Lampizator Lampucera-style DAC (www.lampizator.eu) complete with OS-CON capacitors for not much money. The output voltage straight from the chip is plenty, so it doesn't even need any kind of signal-degrading output stage. I use one, and it pretty much meets or beats everything besides the Buffalo32. PM me if you're interested!

I'm hopeless with a soldering iron but love DIY stuff ...

I was persuaded recently to part with a Peter Daniel Audiosector NOS dac which I really miss now :(

Anyone got a comparable NOS DAC they are willing to part with (especially one with its 'bits' on display - like the Audiosector or the Altmann Attraction)?
Hi,

I have a Peter Daniels NOS dac and USB dac - mounted one atop the other. I may be willing to let go of the normal dac - I would like to keep the USB for other applications.

The dac is mounted on a block of yew and is totally open.

Picture can be supplied if you need.

This is an oddball suggestion and it assumes that you only need the DAC and not the transport.

There is a cottage industry (and probably a ton of DIY projects) where a Behringer DEQ2496 (dsp equalizer) is modified. The improvements can be dramatic, since the analog out section is the unit's weak link. Some of the mods are probably excessive, but there are some modest ones that can give very good sound. One possibilty is a unit modified by Audio Interfaces (they replace the output sections with transformers). There are other companies of course and I will confess these folks are friends of mine.

My suggestion is to look into these modified ones (especially where the analog out has been the focus of the work). If you can avoid the analog input and just use digital input (eiter AES/EBU or S/PDIF), they sound even better.

In addition, there is an equalizer you can play with. That alone can solve a number of problems (eq'ing is best when it is done sparingly)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.