• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: two burning amps (one each BA-1 and BA-2) without drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two of Nelson Pass' "burning amp" amps for sale, one BA-1 and one BA-2.

These are nearly-complete prototype stereo amps that Nelson Pass donated to the Burning Amp festival in 2008. Each one consists of a chassis and heat sinks; speaker, input, and power connectors; power switch and fuse holder; 12 pairs of output devices matched and mounted and output boards; and PS caps, bridge rectifier and transformer. The only thing missing are the driver circuits. Boards are now available to complete these amps. Build and install the driver boards, wire it up, and off you go.

Read the main thread about the amps. There are spinoff threads for single ended and push-pull designs, BA-1 and BA-2.

These are amplifiers number 17 and 18 on the list posted by Nelson. The dymo label serial numbers and original post-it notes are included!

Amp 17 is a push-pull class A amp with twelve pairs of complementary IRF244/IRF9240 mosfets. This is BA-2 which you can read about here.

Amp 18 is a single ended class A amp with twenty-four IRF240 mosfets. This is BA-1.

Driver boards have recently been designed to complete these amps. Board info can be found in the above threads.

Make me an offer for one or both. I figure the retail cost for the components in each amp at about $300-$400. The chassis are difficult to price. Suffice it to say that the metal alone would cost a bundle.

Each amp is very heavy. Local pickup/delivery in the San Francisco Bay area is preferred ... I'll ship if necessary ... suitable shipping boxes will have to be found.

Both amps have identical chassis. You can see the fronts and backs in the first photo, and a close-up of each one in the next two photos. One cover has a very short but shiny scratch that penetrates the anodizing. Amp numbers can be seen on the post-it notes in the photos.

Attachments

• 17 & 18.jpg
    17 & 18.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 757
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 696
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 698
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Crazy idea, and stricktly as common member

How about we agree on a fair price, fore both

We could, as members try to "collect" the money

Then put them in a "lottery", somehow
With a fair price on each
So that only serious takers get them
Members who know how to finish them

And the money would be donated

This controversy, about whether it is ok to sell something won as a door prize, came up shortly after BA2008. Perhaps we can start another thread and go over the arguments?

I'm haven't set a price because I don't know what the amps might be worth to whoever would like to build them out. Make me an offer if you're interested.

- Eric

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I'm haven't set a price because I don't know what the amps might be worth to whoever would like to build them out. Make me an offer if you're interested.

- Eric

Well, I think its ok to sell them here at a fair price, it is your amps

I wouldnt calculate each component
I would consider what it would cost to build another popular NelsonPass amp, like an F5
Minus something, like say the cost of a nice box with heatsinks

It may not be as much as you expect
Maybe 300USD ea would be fair enough, if those are what you want, and know how to finish them
I dont need them tho

a.wayne said:
I guess we scared off Eric ...........

Heck, no, I'm still here! Surely the amps can be advertised in several places.

A friend with an audiogon account placed the ad and set that price because their system requires it. When I put the ads on audio asylum here and here where they also require a price, I set it at $123,456.78 instead and explained why in the ad.

- Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.