• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Meridian 602 Transport & Meridian 606 DAC Converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FOR SALE: Meridian 602 Transport & Meridian 606 DAC
PRICE: $500AUD for the pair
RRP: This CD player combination retailed for $10,000 in Australia.

Well, I woke up this morning and switched my system on as usual and my Meridian 606 DA converter won't light up (a very sad day!). I have replaced the fuse and its still not working.

The flagship Meridian 602/606 has been my all-time favourite CD player, and believe me I've tried a few. The 606 uses a Philips TDA1547 (the DAC-7) chip which is the DAC that Philips designed to supercede the famous TDA1541. In my system, the Meridian combo replaced a Sony XA-7ES + Bel Canto DAC-2 which was in itself very good and saw off various competitors. I also had in house the latest Bel Canto CD-2 @ $4K and the latest Shanling SCD-T200 tube player and an E-Sound Signature cdp - and IMHO, the Meridian bested them all. For want of a better word the Meridian just sounds more classy, it has a musical coherence and a level of fine detail retrieval that is hard to beat. I also have an Esoteric P-700 with the nice VRDS transport mechanism and I use it with either a Gigiawork Big or Little DAC, but I still prefer the Meridian overall. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Meridian is a beauty IMO and is not bettered by anything new that I have tried.

One thing about the 602 transport, it plays very well and reads the disc everytime, the laser and transport mechanism is in perfect condition. Being a British design its a bit temperamental on the odd occasion where it will not take commands from the remote for some reason, however to fix this all you do is press "Time" on the remote control and after that, all is OK. Cosmetically both units look excellent and are about 9/10 allowing for their age.

Anyway, its time for the Meridian 602/606 to go to someone who has the where-with-all and electrical competence to get the DAC going again. It may be something simple and will definitely be a worthwhile exercise for someone.

Price is $250 each or $500 for the pair which I think is reasonable considering that it retailed for $10K in Australia. I prefer to sell the 602/606 together as it would be a shame to break up the synergy going on.

Regards,

Steve M.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Meridian 602 Transport and 606 DA Converter

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.