• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Any ideas on how to get a good piano cheap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is a bit off topic in diyaudio; but I play piano and I'm desperate to get a decent piano. I'm too young (16) to earn enough money for a decent grand piano but I'm itching to find a way.

I have a beat up Beckwith player piano (without the player) that is starting to fall apart because of my playing it. Doing level 8 is difficult on a piano with little dynamic expression or power. The action is shot too.

Does anybody have even the faintest ideas on how I might obtain a decent grand piano in BC, Canada on the Vancouver Island for really cheap or free(must be impossible!)

I know that's kind of a stupid question, but I'm really desperate to get a piano so I can continue to study properly.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

A good friend of mine has a music foundation that donates and accepts piano donations. We refurbish them and then resell them to raise money for other instruments or to bolster inner-city music interests. No idea how you would get it from here (twin cities) to vancouver, but its worth checking into any such foundations near you.

Just an idea.

Good Luck,

Rob

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Hi there. I'm also a piano player, and as a grad student, also poor. Here's the solution I found.

I got a Yamaha P80 electronic piano from Tom Lee Music (they also have lots of grand pianos) on Granville Street downtown Vancouver for $1350 Canadian. The keys simulate the FEEL of a grand piano very well.

As for the sound, it's OK, but to get it to sound like the real thing
you need Gigastudio and some good piano sample sets (EastWest Bosendorfer is great, and so is the EastWest Steinway B). With a good sound system (I recommend using quality headphones) it can sound just like a high end Steinway or Bosendorfer -- it's pretty amazing actually.

The one catch is that Gigastudio won't work with Creative sound cards (i.e. Audigy etc.) on Windows XP; you need a musician's sound card that supports GSIF. You can find a 24bit/96KHz card with GSIF for as little as $130 US.

Plus, the P80 only weighs 60 lbs so it can be moved around by one person.

Buy one!

I have always had one or more pianos, bought used (excepting a Yamaha P-200 simulation), and--and this is important--always made a lot of money on it. Here's the thing: there isn't a real 'market' in used pianos sold privately. People put them on offer for much more, and much less, than they are sold for in identical condition by dealers. The trick is to:

1. Know a fair bit about how to spot a lemon and which makes are rell regarded. Here, get The Piano Book, which discusses all this.

2. Get together enough cash. For a small grand in your area, you'll need $2,000+.

3. Watch ads in newspapers, buy and sell, etc. Don't bother with obvious dealer ads, but get the paper early and move fast on potential good deals--that means visiting early the morning the ad comes out.

4. Don't buy a wreck.

5. Don't dither.

Norman

Anyone help me?
My old car is getting kind of beat up.
I really need a Porsche.
The point is I can't rack up $60,000+ right now...

I also wouldn't even think of using a domestic... Eewwwwww. It's got to have the exact feel of a 911, and the proper vibrations that travel through it.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
"Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz,
My friends all drive Porschees, I must make amends......."
Janis Joplin

Seriously though..... People do give away pianos. They are big and heavy and when people have to move....Also they've been making them for years and year so there are a lot of 'em out there.

I'd do as mentioned earlier, Save up about $500 and start checking all the local computer bulletin boards that list items for sale, the free want-ad handouts, mention it to friends.

Then call them up and tell them your inspiring story of a struggling pianist, and offer them the lowball bucks.
Also maybe time payments. People are often suckers for this kind of story (and it's even true?)

VERY unlikely to get a grand, but probably you could get something better than your crappy current rig. That has to be an improvement. Also, a piano that's rough looking is worth very little. Most people buy them for decoration also, so a good playing beat-up piano (I have one) might be just the ticket

To sum up; "what Norman said"

Okay, well first, Fusor: You aren't helping here in this thread. I cannot put into words how much I detest socially hopeless people like you.

Do you play a piano? An electronic piano is a terrible instrument to learn to play on. A piano can't be compared to a car that loosely. Sure maybe some pianos look nice.

I never said I was looking for the "perfect" piano, just something that can hold its own. If your comparison worked in the real world, then a domestic car would be equivalent to a pianist attempting to play a piece of dented aluminum. The domestic car is what I'm looking for, maybe a used yamaha or lower end make. I don't need a Steinway or a Bosendorfer. All I want is a piano that works properly and has just a fairly even dynamic sound, nothing special, just a simple piano.

I'll be fine with an upright piano too, I prefer the sound of a grand but an upright is fine. All I need is a simply piano that works properly, is that too much to ask???

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, you yourself said your question was "stupid" AND you don't even know whether an upright will work. Now you are willing to "accept" a small Yamaha grand- a rather nice piano from what I've heard. A real grand piano has to be worth many many many thousands, yet that is all you were interested in at first.
You ARE being a bit presumptuous

I think you need to:

Try a lot of different pianos- maybe at a dealers to see how they play. Then take a look at the cost- you will be quite impressed.
If even a decent upright won't do the job, then you've saved yourself chasing down leads on a bunch of those

Then find a place close by that has a piano that might let you practice there. The idea of churches and schools that are in your neighborhood might be a good one. People tend to help out talented dedicated people as long as they don't have a snotty attitude, so I think there really is a chance you will get at least something better than you have.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Duo said:
Fusor: You aren't helping here in this thread.

Well it sure was pretty funny, so I'm glad he posted it.

Duo said:
An electronic piano is a terrible instrument to learn to play on.

Bull. I played 7 years on my teacher's Steinway A before I moved to Canada, so I can easily compare. A quality electronic piano (designed specifically to be a piano, not a keyboard) is a great solution until one has the finances to buy a high quality acoustic grand piano. The gigastudio Steinway samples sound damn close to the real thing with my ER-6. With better headphones like Stax it would be near impossible to tell the difference.

I agree with you. The post I left was detestable. They were your words.

I am familiar with both pianos and Porsches for far longer than you have been on planet Earth.

Their comparison is both apt and more genuine than you, "a baby grand would probably do" now becomes "All I need is a simply piano that works properly". Whom are you quoting "perfect"?

A quality instrument is made through the efforts [hard work] and experiences [long hard work] of talented individuals. Their results produce an item that commands and retains it's high value. I assume the people who would give away a baby grand would also give away their 911 [see my first post]. I don't need a $1,000,000 934 RSR. All I want is a nice car that works properly and has just fairly good performance, nothing special. I'd even take a free VW Jetta. Is that too much to ask? I think so.

When my first car wore out a wonderful person gave me a book by John Muir. The late Mr. Muir taught me one of life's great lessons, how to do it yourself. I am also greatly in debt to David Hafler, Nelson Pass, James Boak, Jan Didden, Erno Borely, Walt Jung, Steve Ciarcia, Forrest Mims and others who did likewise.

I'm not helping? Well, that depends a lot on you. From your attitude I would agree again.

Good day to you.

I have decided to resign from this thread, its original intent has failed miserably.

Fusor: I have nothing to say to you but to tell you that it is very disgusting how you communicate and furthermore, it is extremely rude of you to use my words in your own sentences. What respect has a person to communicate with another in that he can't have the slightest moral depth?

You are in no position whatsoever to state that your argument is more apt or genuine than my being.

This thread has done one good thing for me: It taught me only to deal with respectable social people.

I shall read no further posts in this thread and I refuse to have any further communication with Fusor indefinitely.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.