• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Yamaha M-60 power amp for sale (w/ impaired C-60 preamp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought this Yamaha M-60 and C-60 pair in the early 1990's from a co-worker. The main power amp (M-60) is still going strong, but about a year ago the C-60 preamp's right channel started flaking out. And my wife pointed out that I have no need for such a big amp anymore. So I'm hoping someone would be interested in either buying both and fixing the C-60 or just using the M-60 with a different preamp.

The M-60 power amp works fine on both channels. It says 520 watts on the back, although I think it may be limited to 160 per channel (there are 3 speaker outputs). There are no manuals with it. It can also be used in 'auto class A' mode. (Photo links below.)

The C-60's problems, in case you're interested: The right channel went crackly, recovered, and now has gone almost totally silent. Also the phono 'record to tape' output hasn't worked since I bought it. The phono output works fine for playing LP's, just the path from phono to the tape out is silent. All the other tape out paths work.

I'll ask $275 for the pair of them. Feel free to make an offer for less if you think that's too high. Shipping is extra.

I'm located in Rochester, New York, USA. I have no idea what it costs to ship this. If you're interested, send me an email and we can figure out the shipping cost. FYI the C-60 weighs 13 pounds and the M-60 weighs 33 pounds, without packaging.

- Sean Donnelly
P.S. I am new to diyaudio, but my Ebay account uses the same id (rainzoneman) so you can check my feedback on there, if that's an issue.

http://www.rain-zone.com/foto/forsale/amp_front_small.jpg
http://www.rain-zone.com/foto/forsale/amp_back_small.jpg

I'm not against it, but I think the shipping would be prohibitively expensive. I did a quick check with the carriers I know (Fedex, UPS, US Postal Service) and they seem to only show air rates, which are ludicrously high. For just the power amp I entered 35 pounds, and the shipping came up in the $300 range! So it would only make sense to send it by sea. I can look into those options (someone suggested freightquote.com) later if you're interested. Even by sea I'd be surprised if the shipping came out under $100. Plus, anything I've ever received by sea smells like mold when it arrives. I would try to pack it sealed in plastic, but I'm just saying...

Sean

Yes, you right. The air rates are very high, however the the USPS (USPS Priority Mail International) offers better rates, saw some others selling goods overseas they come out around $100 for similar amps. I am not shure about sea - would not want them to be flooded. :) Cheers

I don't know how I missed this, but you're right, the USPS Priority Mail International is cheaper. 35 pounds shows $129.50. I'll measure the amps more closely when I get home tonight and see if they fit under the PMI limits (Max. length 60", max. length plus girth combined 108"). I assume you're just interested in the power amp (M-60)?

jeneses - I got an M-80 shipped from the US for about $100 recently. It's US voltage only but I wanted it for spares, although now it seems I might be able to get it fixed actually! (I didn't need the spares and the damage actually seems to be nothing more than broken binding post mounts).

The main thing with these amps is that they are surprisingly heavy and easily dropped by the knuckle-dragging morons in the postal services - both the Yamahas I have were damaged this way, resulting in damage to the binding posts, case and in one case the PCB they're mounted on. So make sure they are very well packed in case of being dropped. In particular plenty of packing around and behind the speaker posts is essential IMO.

If you're shipping one yourself you might as well look out for one that has a voltage selector that includes UK voltage and 50Hz frequency - some have them, some don't. Probably easier and cheaper than buying a convertor.

Since I posted this for sale I've looked into the amount of packing necessary to prevent damage. I had no idea. This link set me straight:
QTH.COM :: View topic - HOW TO PACK HEAVY ELECTRONIC GEAR
They suggest a box within a box, each one full of heavy styrofoam.
Given all that packing effort, and the potential for the amp to arrive damaged in spite of it, I decided to try and sell these amps locally.
The fact that Doomlord's experience was that both of his Yamahas arrived damaged tells me that I'm making the right decision.

Thanks all!
-Sean

Sean - you can ship successfully, of course you do have to pack properly. I would recommend using polystyrene for the front and back of the amps as sheets of it can easily be cut/impressed to accomodate switches, knobs, binding posts etc (the Yams are problematic as their binding posts are mounted to easily-breakable plastic forms and not onto the metal case, and they stick out a lot). I'd then wrap in plastic-wrap to hold the poly in place, then in five or six layers of small-bubble bubblewrap or two layers of giant bubble bubble wrap. Always have the bubles on the inside of the wrapping. So far, so easy - just buy your bubblewrap chealy by the roll and 'roll' it on - easy! You can then box at this point - single-wall is fine but it should be a snug fit. Keep the cable plug outside this so the pins can't scrape the side of teh amp of course. This then goes into a bigger box. IMO, overfilling with packing peanuts is best, esp the ones that look like cheetos. You should be aiming for at least 3" all around, so your final box will be bulky, but not necessairly much more heavy than the amp. The key is to *overfill* slightly so that the peanuts are lightly compressed and squeeze together. THat way they won't slide around and therefore your amp won't. Secondly, they still have more 'squish' left in them, so sudden shocks AND penetrations can be accomodated. Solid polystyrene is good at protecting against penetration but it doesn't allow any movement, so the shock of impact goes straight to the amp. Anyway, start by putting 4" of peanuts in the bottom of your outer box (ideally double-walled and with handles). WHen you put your inner box on, its weight will squish these down a bit. Then pack them in around the sides and finally pile them on top, so that they appear as a mound above teh line of the top of the box. When you fold the flaps down, they should again compress the peanuts, forcing them into an effectively contiguous foam that neatly surrounds and holds the amp. Tape up thoroughly. Mark which way is up and that the contents are fragile. Take some digital pictures of your packing to show the initial condition (this costs nothing but makes it easy to show damage that occurs in transit).

All in all, more than five minutes work, but well worth it. I buy and sell a lot on eBay, so I've got pretty good at this and I keep the materials etc to hand so I can rapidly and effectively pack the stuff I ship. For someone doing this for the first time it can seem a bit daunting but it's not really, if you just follow procedure. :)

As an extra, if you are eco-minded, include a paper bag/sack in the box so the packing peanuts can be saved and re-used later on, use goods recycled from waste (not just 'recylable' which means little by itself). I also never tape up bubblewrap as it's really not necessary and just makes it get torn when your item is unwrapped, rendering it less useful and probably therefore causing it to be thrown away. I reuse as much packaging as possible - it's good for the enviroment and it saves money for everyone :)

Oh, and for the record, my M-80 was damaged in transit when shipped to the guy I bought it off, in the US. He did a sterling job of shipping it here in one piece (well, no further pieces :p ). I've also had other stuff shipped over without incident, so please don't feel that transatlantic shipping is overly risky. If you prepare and pack properly, it's well worth it. We brits often cry over the much lower pricing and wider availability of nice gear in the US, so I don't want to encourage a 'shipping is a hassle' mentality!

Good luck selling!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.