• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS Morel drivers, custom CNC machined aluminum cabinets, Dayton cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SOLDPair Morel HU9.1 driver $195 pair
Specs: http://www.morelhifi.com/old/products/pdf/Hu 9.pdf
Madisound sold these for $157 each

SOLD Single Morel MDM-55 driver $70 ($89.49 at Parts Express)
Parts-Express.com:*Morel MDM 55 2-1/8" Soft Dome Midrange | morel mdm-55 midrange soft dome tweeter silk dome textile dome fabric dome 20OffMorel070109
Specs: http://www.morelhifi.com/products/pdf/Midrange/Specs sheet MDM55.pdf

SOLD Pair Morel MDT-44 driver $125 pair
Specs for MDT-40 (similar to MDT-44): http://www.morelhifi.com/products/pdf/mdt 40.pdf

SOLD Pair custom CNC milled aluminum mid/tweeter housing to mount Morel MDM-55 and MDT-44 in time alignment. $50 pair (cost $200)
Some light scratches in aluminum

Pair Dayton TW-0.75BK 0.75 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet Gloss Black
$100 pair ($149 each with free shipping from Parts Express - formerly $107.69 each not including shipping from Parts Express)
Specs: Parts-Express.com:*Dayton TW-0.75BK 0.75 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet Gloss Black | speaker cabinet empty speaker cabinet unloaded speaker unloaded cabinet .75 cubic foot enclosure
Baffle cut outs near top of cabinet accept Morel HU9.1 drivers. Some scuffs and scratches in cabinet finish. 3 small holes (aprox 3/32”) have been drilled thru top of each cabinet to facilitate wiring leads to driver (from external crossover placed behind custom CNC milled aluminum mid/tweeter housing). There exist 2 more spots on top of one cabinet where small holes were started (but not completed). Baffles have been glued solid to cabinets. Cabinets are stuffed with acoustical fill. These cabinets are an ideal match for the Morel HU9.1 drivers providing Butterworth alignment Qtc = .707 in an acoustically suspended environment.

All drivers reportedly are working correctly (bought from an honest DIYer). Drivers previously utilized in these cabinets in a time aligned (first order crossover) system as part of a 4-way system (pair of 15” active subs). All one needs to assemble this exceptional system (as a three way) is one more Morel MDM-55 driver, inductors, capacitors, some wire, maybe a resistor (start with L pad), and binding posts (alternatively one can run cables direct to amplifiers for improved performance). I am second owner of this system. Once built with quality crossover and wiring this system is reportedly exceptionally fast, dynamic and tonally well balanced. I can provide necessary crossover data to buyer. I acquired system with hopes of replacing my Apogee Duetta Signatures (fitted with new XLM2 ribbons) with it. Unfortunately I have need for money and must now liquidate.

Package deal if buying all $405 (save $135 off of $540)
Sale preference to selling Morel HU9.1 with the Dayton cabinets and selling Morel MDM-55 and Morel MDT-44 with the custom CNC aluminum cabinets.

Pair Morel MDT-44 driver + single Morel MDM-55 shipped in a 9”x9”x9” box weighing 1.8lb

Pair custom CNC milled aluminum mid/tweeter housing shipped in a 11”x11”x11” box weighing 11.8lb

pair Morel HU9.1 drivers shipped mounted in pair Dayton TW-0.75BK 0.75 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet (Gloss Black) in 2 separate 22”x18”x15” factory packaging boxes weighing 26lb each.

Don’t ask me for a shipping quote as you can get your own on line with your shipper of choice. Both FedEx and UPS are conveniently located to me. I am shipping from Bozeman MT 59715

To give those located far away from me an idea of shipping charges I paid $87.50 total for (fully insured) FedEx ground shipping charges to ship all of above to Bozeman MT 59715 from Lawrenceville GA 30043

disregard paragraph below as ad is also posted on Craigslist
Please reply with your phone number and preferred hours of contact (so that I know you are not just a bot looking to add to a mailing list for spam or other malicious purpose).
Alternatively you can call me at: (for 0 six) five ate 0 - 6 threeee 7 for (10am-9pm MST 7 days).

Read my feedback:
Bayneophyte on http://.www.eBay.com
Audio_gon_neophyte on http://.www.Audiogon.com

more photos available

Attachments

• Morel MDT-44 Morel MDM-55_custom CNC machined alluminum cabinets_img_med.jpg
    Morel MDT-44 Morel MDM-55_custom CNC machined alluminum cabinets_img_med.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 919
  • Morel HU9.1 mounted in Dayton TW-.075BK cabinet_img_medpg.jpg
    Morel HU9.1 mounted in Dayton TW-.075BK cabinet_img_medpg.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 894
  • custom CNC machined alluminum cabinets_rear_img_med.jpg
    custom CNC machined alluminum cabinets_rear_img_med.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 882
Last edited:
Price drop:

Package deal: everything for $310 + shipping (save $70 off the $380 discounted separate pricing)

Pair Morel HU9.1 driver $160 pair
Single Morel MDM-55 driver $50 ($89.49 at Parts Express)
Pair Morel MDT-44 driver $50 pair
Pair custom CNC milled aluminum mid/tweeter housing to mount Morel MDM-55 and MDT-44 in time alignment. $40 pair see notes in original post
Pair Dayton TW-0.75BK 0.75 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet Gloss Black $80 pair ($107.69 each at Parts Express) see notes in original post

Diyaudio.com does not notify me of PM’s received and I have yet to discover how to have site forward them to my email. Please use “send email to Bronson_k” function of site and post interest in this thread (to spare others investing time inquiring on what you already intend to purchase).

PM and email responded to. Consider Pair Morel MDT-44 drivers and pair custom CNC machined aluminum cabinets sale pending.

While I have a strong preference for USPS money order payments I can also accept funds via PayPal or personal check. Items shipped within 48 hours if USPS money order or PayPal payment (likely same or next day shipment dispatch). If payment via personal and or business check I will typically wait 5 business days prior to shipping (time enough for check to clear senders bank).

photos one of the pair of: Dayton TW-0.75BK 0.75 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet Gloss Black

Hmm.. interesting. Seeing if these will work. Have you tried crossing these over to a tweeter, without a midrange? Spec sheet claims they play up to 3300hz. Wondering if you ever tried anything like that as I have many pairs of SEAS to play with. Damn, I wish I would've known more about these in 2010. I would love to have those machined aluminum cabs and the proper Morel drivers for them. Very cool.

Last edited:
Hmm.. interesting. Seeing if these will work. Have you tried crossing these over to a tweeter, without a midrange? Spec sheet claims they play up to 3300hz. Wondering if you ever tried anything like that as I have many pairs of SEAS to play with. Damn, I wish I would've known more about these in 2010. I would love to have those machined aluminum cabs and the proper Morel drivers for them. Very cool.

Kyle
If you don't grab these, I might. I have some MDT30s that need a home.

While crossing the Morel HU9.1 220 mm (8.7”) drivers over directly with tweeters might result in a whole speaker that is faster and more dynamic than many commercial offerings (assuming quality crossover implemented in the DIY speaker) I have not tried it. When I look at its plotted response graph (zoomed in) I suspect that what happens starting from just under 800Hz on up through approx. 1600Hz presents more than I am comfortable taming in crossover design (I prefer simple minimal filters). Despite response graph showing useable output thru approx. 4300Hz I personally would not attempt to cross these over higher than about 750Hz (take my opinion with a lump of salt though as I’m profoundly neophyte). To use Morel HU9.1 drivers in a two way I imagine crossing these over (2nd order) to something like a 26-6 Apogee Acoustics ribbon driver assembly or maybe some sort of planer driver (unfortunately I have none in house at present other than some Monsoon planer drivers that work well approx. 1400Hz – 8kHz). It seems to me that using dynamic drivers of approx. 7” diameter or less would make for smother two way speakers considering the frequency limitations of most tweeters.

Something to further consider; calculations show that Morel HU9.1 divers acoustically suspended in these Dayton cabinets begin rolling off around… darn I apparently did not save the file. Anyway, conclusion being that the resulting system would benefit from a subwoofer for bottom end extension. While one should expect fast articulate bass from this driver cabinet combination one should not expect that output to extend with authority (without roll off) down into bottom octave(s)(But I digress as you knew that already – uncompromising extension into the bottom octave is reserved for 15”+ drivers in massive cabinets). On the positive in perspective I suspect Morel HU9.1’s in these cabinets used in conjunction with a subwoofer will produce superior bass beyond just about any system using 6.5” low frequency drivers in conjunction with a subwoofer.

As an aside: for purposes of reducing buyers shipping costs I can certainly tape (or maybe even band) the two 26 lb. 22”x18”x15” boxes together to yield one 22”x18”x30” 53 lb. package (to those interested I suggest you run your shipping quotes with such as a comparison option).

Dayton cabinets still available everything else sold.

Pair Dayton TW-0.75BK 0.75 ft³ 2-Way Cabinet Gloss Black for $65 plus shipping carrier charge (2.9% + $.30 Paypal fee)

This listing is for the Dayton cabinets only. The Morel HU9.1 drivers (as seen in some of this listings photos) are not included in this sale (they are no longer available).

These cabinets are an ideal match for Morel HU9.1 drivers (no longer for sale in a different listing) providing Butterworth alignment Qtc = .707 in an acoustically suspended environment.

These speaker cabinets sell new for $149 each at Parts Express Dayton Audio TW-0.75BK 0.75 cu. ft. 2-Way Speaker Cabinet Gloss Black

Specs: Dayton Audio TW-0.75BK 0.75 cu. ft. 2-Way Speaker Cabinet Gloss Black

My inspection of the speaker cabinets results in the following list of known conditions (and additions):

- The cabinet sidewalls have been lined with foam and the cabinets have been partially stuffed with acoustical fill (for purposes of acoustic deadening/tuning)

- The cabinet baffles have 7.75” diameter cut outs near the top of each cabinet baffle. These cutouts accept Morel HU9.1 drivers.

- The cabinet baffles have been glued to the cabinets with wood glue. Therefore they are not removable. Wood glue residue is visible in the seams between the cabinet baffle and the cabinet.

- Numerous scuffs and scratches exist in the cabinets finish. Despite having photographed them outside in direct and or diffused sunlight the scratches and other marks are not entirely well represented in the photos.

- 5 small holes (approx. 5/64” in diameter) have been drilled into and or thru the top of each cabinet.

- 2 @ ¼” diameter holes have been drilled thru the rear of each cabinet (to facilitate installation of binding posts). These holes have been subsequently filled.

- The speaker cabinets are finished in a high gloss finish. The speaker cabinet’s baffles appear to be finished in a semi-gloss finish (much lower luster).

Please review the photographs (forthcoming cabinet photos) included with the listing for details – they are an important integral part of the items physical condition description. Unless specifically stated otherwise in the listing the listing includes only the item(s) listed for sale as described herein and as shown in the listings photographs. The listing DOES NOT INCLUDE any other accessory items that may or may not have accompanied the for sale item(s) when previously originally sold as new. Other items shown in the photographs e.g. tables, backdrop cloths, blocks of wood used to show and or positon for sale item(s) for photographic purposes are NOT INCLUDED.

Regarding shipping costs, you pay only shipping carrier charges (no handling/packaging fee assessed). The speaker cabinets will ship individually packaged in their factory packaging/boxes measuring approx. 22”x18”x15” and weighing approx. 24lb each. To reduce your shipping costs I can band (or tape) the two boxes together to yield a single package weighing approx. 54 lb. and measuring approx. 23” x 19” x 31”.

Don’t ask me for a shipping quote as you can get your own on line with your shipper of choice. Both FedEx and UPS are conveniently located to me. I am shipping from Bozeman MT 59715

Subsequent to being paid for the speaker cabinets will be promptly shipped (within 2 business days) and notwithstanding any possible damage the speaker cabinets might receive in transit (due to carrier negligence) arrive as they are described herein. In the unlikely event that the speaker cabinets are damaged by the shipping carrier I will cooperate with the buyer providing any information (in my possession) necessary for buyer’s shipping claim to prevail.

The speaker cabinets are being offered for sale AS IS (as described). All sales are final. Returns are NOT ACCEPTED.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.