GlassWare Audio Aikido Rev C 9-pin board - stuffed & tested with 6GU7s - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2009, 03:00 PM   #1
beeah is offline beeah  United States
diyAudio Member

Default GlassWare Audio Aikido Rev C 9-pin board - stuffed & tested with 6GU7s

Actually... this board is currently part of a working preamp, fully enclosed with tube-regulated CLCLC power supply, input selector, Noble volume pot, 4 RCA stereo inputs and 1 RCA stereo output. It's running 6GU7s, and several sets will be included (Sylvania, RCA & GE). The board is populated with .47uF Auricap coupling caps, Vishay/Dale metal film resistors, and ceramic sockets.

It ain't the purtyest thing out there, but it gets the job done. It sounds fantastic - very quiet and great tone. In fact, it's the best tube preamp I've heard, but I've recently moved into the passive (TVC/AVC) realm and so far I like what I'm hearing.

I configured the board such that the resistors that one would change to accommodate a different tube are "socketed" using pins from a DIP socket, so no soldering is necessary - just bend and trim the leads, replace the resistors, and you're good to go.

I can either sell the entire preamp or just the stuffed board. That said, I'd hate to sell the entire preamp only to have it parted out - I can use the parts myself for another project.

I can post some pics (internal and external) if there's any interest. Just putting out feelers at the moment - I haven't even given much thought to pricing, so feel free to make suggestions/offers.
Old 9th September 2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

You have a PM
Old 9th September 2009, 07:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

As do you.
Old 10th September 2009, 01:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

A few pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2667.jpg (151.6 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2669.jpg (173.0 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2670.jpg (229.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 10th September 2009, 01:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

...and a few more.

After some fuzzy math, I pulled $175 out of my hat as an asking price, based largely on the general quality of the parts, the number of tubes included (16 mostly NOS 6GU7s + a vintage 5Y3), and the fact that the Aikido kit (board + parts) alone would run about $100.

A few things to note:
  • The RCA inputs are a little close together. This never posed a problem for me, but larger connectors such as WBT locking RCAs might be an issue.
  • Several of the 6GU7s seem to be microphonic/noisy. Again, this was never a huge issue for me as I never heard any noise when the music was playing, but it bears mentioning. I don't know if it was a stretch of bad luck on my part, or if 6GU7s just tend to be a noisy tube. All that said, the board can easily be converted to run any number of 9-pin tubes if it comes to that.
  • I believe I configured the B+ for ~400V, which is at the upper end of the range for the Aikido. With the current I chose for the tubes, this put the operating point in a nice linear region for these tubes (which happen to be very similar to the 12BH7 electrically).
Old 10th September 2009, 02:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

oops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2672-crop.jpg (361.8 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2674.jpg (422.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2675.jpg (391.4 KB, 97 views)
Old 14th September 2009, 12:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Still available as stuffed board or entire preamp.
Open to offers.
Old 15th September 2009, 05:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sold!

Hide this!Advertise here!