• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Grundig Majestic Tape Recorder - Tubes Inside!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A couple of years back, my old uncle gave me his Grundig Tape Recorder, model TK 64 USA. This is almost an antique - no cassettes here, we're talking reel to reels - up to 18cm diameter. Speeds are 7.5ips and 3.75ips. I've had it in the garage, and though I'd use it for something, but never got around to it. I haven't tried plugging it in, and I'm sure it hasn't been used in at least 30 years. Inside, I found one of the belts broken, but that should be easy to fix if desired. The manual is included. This thing dates from the early 60's, made in West Germany. The craftsmanship is really top of the line, pretty cool to see the quality people used to put into things.

There are a few interesting things about this that might be of interest to tube lovers. There are two speakers in the unit (17.6 by 12.6cm), and are powered by "2 sound channels with output penthodes EL 84 of 6 watts each". There are pictures attached, one showing the output transformers.

There are a number of tubes inside: 2x EF86, 2x ECC81, EL95, EM84, ECC83, and 2x EL84 - one of them is a "magic band valve". They are mostly Valvo, and at least a couple are Telefunken. I have no way of knowing if they are still any good, but I'm sure the unit was used very little, and stored very carefully.

Aesthetically, its in pretty good shape - there is a little discoloration on the exterior, and a few little nicks, but otherwise, looks like it was never used.

It weighs about 40lbs - I'd expect shipping would be at least $50usd in the CONUS. I don't know what this is worth, but I'm going to ask $75usd to start. It would be cool to see someone build some small amps with the parts here on the forum!

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    outside.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 147
  • face.jpg
    face.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 145
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 164
  • outTX.jpg
    outTX.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 160
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Not to much interest - and you call yourselves DIYers! :sarge:

Well, if there is someone who will actually use it for a project, and publish it here on diyAudio, and you can come here and get it - its yours! I just want to see it get used for something...

I'm on the westside of Los Angeles, send me an email.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.