Weird old power transformers (filament, SS and tube) - $7 each! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Swap Meet

Swap Meet Sell your stuff here, who knows, some other fanatic might be interested!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2009, 01:51 AM   #1
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Weird old power transformers (filament, SS and tube) - $7 each!

Here are three transformers that I'd rather not move. AFAIK, they came from a Hammond G-100 organ. All three appear to have been manufactured at Midwest Coil. All of my measurements were taken with 120V on the primaries and no load on the secondaries. All of them have cloth leads that are in fine, flexible shape. Buyer pays shipping. $7 each.

#1, This 7lb beaut might work as a filament transformer as it's secondary (center tapped) measures 7.6V unloaded. It really is pretty, with a nice glossy black finish, good fit, and no surface rust. Long, big leads.

#2 is a beastly 20lb'er with a 35.5V (again, unloaded) center tapped secondary. The leads are giant. I don't know what sort of voltage you SS guys are typically looking for, but if you need tons of current, this is your boy. It has some rust on the outside of the very nicely stacked lams. Nice long leads. This guy begs for a USPS flat rate box.

#3 has two secondaries, one is center tapped and measures 54V (10.7 ohms), the other has no CT and measures 262V (20.1 ohms). It is 9.5lbs and has some surface rust. The leads on this guy are short.

pj
Old 6th August 2009, 04:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

#2 is gone, but the others are still up for grabs.

I've also got the PT from an Eico Oscilloscope that I think is 450-0-450 (don't quote me on that). It has a winding for the CRT, but other than that it seem like it could work well for something like a SimpleSE.

pj
Old 20th August 2009, 10:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Another addition:

Stancor PC-8301
415-0-415 (117 primary) Plate transformer (no filament winding) designed for choke input supplies. IIRC, 200 ma for choke input 150 ma for cap input. I bought this guy NOS for $40. It has a mechanical buzz. I tried a couple of things to remedy it, and I think it is there to stay. It runs cool, so it isn't saturating and is perfectly functional. This one would be perfect for a guitar amp or any amp where you don't need it to be dead silent. I'd like to get $10 for it. (buyer pays shipping).
Old 8th September 2009, 03:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've also got a couple of little 12.6V transformers. A used Stancor and a brand new Signal. How about a buck for the former and two bucks for the later?

pj
Old 10th September 2009, 06:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

PM Sent
Old 14th September 2009, 07:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The 12V pair is spoken for.
Old 29th March 2010, 04:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I also sold the Stancor. #'s 1 and 3 from above and the Eico are all still available.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Hide this!Advertise here!