• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Harmon Kardon Citation 1 Vacuum Tube Preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vintage Harmon Kardon Citation 1 Vacuum tube preamplifier for sale. $425.00

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Citation 1 is great for a collector of old records, because in addition to the RIAA equalization curve,
it has selectable equalization circuits to adjust for the various recording equalizations that were used
before they standardized on the RIAA curve.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The tone controls are stepped switches. This allow for completely flat frequency response if you desire.
Because switches are used, it doesn’t have the distortion caused by potentiometers.

This preamp is in working condition and sounds surprisingly good for it’s age. It still sounds better than
most solid state equipment. Upgraded with modern components it could sound superb.

This preamplifier appears to be nearly stock. Two of the tube shields are missing. However, the tube
shields on the high level output tubes aren’t even necessary.

The only work that appears to have been performed is the replacement of the filament rectifier diodes
and the series resistors. The original pair of resistors were 3.3 Ohm. They were replaced with
adjustable wirewound resistors. This allows you to adjust the filament voltage as you desire.

When this preamplifier was designed, the powerline voltages were lower. It is often necessary to add
voltage dropping resistors to the filament supplies to reduce the filament voltage to the proper level,
as the filament voltages are often too high because of the higher line voltage that we have today.

You can adjust the filament voltage to as low as 11 volts per tube for extended tube life, or as high as
12.6 volts for highest transconductance.. At present the filament voltage is adjusted for 11.6 Volts.
I can readjust this for you if you prefer a different voltage setting.

These resistors can easily be replaced with fixed resistors to return it to a stock look.

The condition of this preamplifier is not pristine. See photos. But if you want great sound at a bargain
price this preamplifier is for you.

Specification and original literature
http://www.allegrosound.com/Citation_1.pdf

Schematic Diagram:
http://www.schematics.ca/uploads/PDdownloads/harmon_kardon_citation_1_schematic_diagram.gif

If you would like to upgrade the preamp, SDS Labs has designed a circuit board to replace the old style
multi-section electrolytic capacitors with much better sounding modern electrolytic capacitors.

http://www.quadesl.com/refurb/refurb_hkCitation1.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The preamplifier is warranted not to be DOA. I do not warranty the vacuum tubes. However, I will pack
them well so that they won’t break. during shipping Or if you prefer I can ship the preamplifier with the
tubes installed, but that is at your own risk.

Local buyers may pickup & save shipping cost. I will accept cash if you are local. But please, no cash
through the mail.

Mailing is ACTUAL COST, NO Handling charges!!! Add insurance if desired.

Shipping weight is about 30 lbs.

I accept PayPal and can also accept credit card payments through PayPal. I don't accept e-checks. I only
accept PayPal from buyers with verified addresses.

sanovak@comcast.net

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.