• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Carver M400 Magnetic Field Power Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 2 of these. They are 240V models. They do NOT work. I am considering throwing out the insides and making cute amps using the cute metal work. Could be a nice 2.1 system for my computer desk.

Question, is this a sin. If so is it a big sin or a little sin:smash:

If anyone wants them then make an offer, I will post anywhere and I am posting from AUstralia. Cosmeticaly they are OK, could do with a spray paint job.

Hi Pheoinx

These amps were well regarded, and designed by a very highly regarded designer.

Bob Carver was known for not following trends, and designing his way.

I reckon they are worth getting up and running, especially of they are the "T" model. The T model many say was much better.

Hope this helps.

I just repaired mine. and it wast that hard to get running. the power supply is basically a light dimmer! there are two 2amp bridge rectifiers in parallel for the 25V supply. I guess these fail often causing the unit to blow fuses etc. I followed the instructions in the service manual and the repair was quite easy. just a PITA to get the lil bugger apart far enough to GET to the dang bridges. I upgraded to a single 10 amp bridge rectifier and all was good after that. the service manual is well written and easy to follow.

Zc

I don't remember the M400 being an amplifier that had the "T" option. Does it stand for "tube"? Working there, we called it the Carver "tweak". Didn't see him often, though when I did, Bob was usually jubilant about his whatever it was he was brewing up. Besides the Carver challenge, professional amplifiers for the touring Michael Jackson were big for the company.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.