• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wanted: Crimson Elektrik CE1008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

Does anyone know where I can find a Crimson Elektrik CE1008 power amplifier module from the early 1980s? I am putting together a pair of active speakers and I have 2 CE608s for the mids but only 1 CE1008 for the bass (I used to run mono bass). If anyone has one of these that they are willing to part with please let me know.

Cheers

I have a pair of old 1704 series VII that have been slightly modified over the years. The 4 extra caps are easy to remove.
How much do you need them?

I also have a pair 1704 imp series VII that are slightly more modified and a little newer.

I also have a pair of 1704 series viii, but they are kidding calling up 170W into 4r0. Only one pair of 1386/3519 in the output stage.
Look at the SOA @ 100Vce. 1.5A vs 0.9A, no contest and a lower temp due to the plastic package.

Hey, that's great. How much would you want for one or for a pair?

I do need at least one as I am currently running the left speaker with a pair of voltage regs to drop the volts from the PS for a 100W amp to suit a third CE608; not an ideal situation, but works enough to prove the speakers.

Cheers

It's worse than that.
Crimson gave a very strong warning against using any regulated voltage to supply their amps.
It went on to say they would not answer any questions or give support to a user attempting to use a regulated supply.
It has in part to do with optimising the PCB and amp to suit a conventional PSU, that in turn includes a tiny bit of positive feedback to compensate for supply rail ripple.

Your Email is switched off.

Type VIII PCBs

I have a pair of old 1704 series VII that have been slightly modified over the years. The 4 extra caps are easy to remove.
How much do you need them?

I also have a pair 1704 imp series VII that are slightly more modified and a little newer.

I also have a pair of 1704 series viii, but they are kidding calling up 170W into 4r0. Only one pair of 1386/3519 in the output stage.
Look at the SOA @ 100Vce. 1.5A vs 0.9A, no contest and a lower temp due to the plastic package.

The VIII PCBs were produced in three power levels. It seems that the ones that you have are the medium power ones with a single pair of output devices. The high power ones use 2 pairs of parallel output devices. The PCBs can be converted to the higher power spec ones by adding extra power devices, sharing resistors and modification of the protection load line values. We still do PCB repairs and mods and supply new or refurbished PCBs.

The VII schematic is here:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bepowell/schematics/VII.pdf

Regards
Brian Powell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.