• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

OEM Digital Crossover now Available to Diy Market

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A serious OEM digital crossover controller is now available to DIYers. Its the Xilica xm-2040 which is 2 inputs and 4 outputs. One unit will run a stereo pair of two way speakers. or a three way plus sub, or a four way. These have a lot of DSP power and can do all kinds of crossovers, notchs, Parametric EQ, time delays, etc.. They are built with the best audiophile components like the Crystal Semiconductor CS4398 DAC. This is board only (runs on +_12V. Power can be drawn from the DC bus of an ICEPOwer or from an AC to DC switching power supply. It comes with great software to control everything. These units sell in Holland for over 500 Euro. I have a number of brand new in box units with a RS232 interface I would like to sell ASAP. I am asking $300 each plus shipping. I'll give discounts for larger orders. E mail me for details. I take paypal and I want to sell all of these by the end of the year. Quantities are limited so don't wast time. When this lot is sold,there wont be any more at this price.

Contact me at delphinj@aol.com. The modules are in NJ.

Thanks.

Pics again

Hopefully it attached this time.

Attachments

• xm2040.jpg
    xm2040.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,120
Hi,

Thanks for your interest in the crossovers. I'll try to answer all preceding questions in this post.

1. The xm 2040 comes with an RS 232 interface. An optional ethernet is available from Xilica. (a USB may be as well, I don't know). The 232 is quite common (even these days) and works very well for this application since its pulls very little current from the PS. I use an external USB to RS232 cable to program the units with no trouble at all with modern computers.

2. The output of the XM 2040 is balanced. The Euro 12 pin contains screw down terminals that accepts bare wire for 4 channels. The positive (hot), the negative (cold), and the ground for each channel. When building this into a speaker or its own enclosure, you simply wire each output to a corresponding XLR jack (or RCA using just the hot and the ground).

3. New firmware and software is always available on www.xilica.com. (ie. latest release has FIR as well as IIR filters).

4. The chips used in the unit are as follows:

ADC: Cirrus Logic: CS5361
DAC: Cyrus Logic: CS4398 (2)
DSP: Analog Devices ADSP21363 Sharc
Buffers: JRC 4580's
Clock: CQ12-288

5. They were bought directly from the manufacturer, Xilica Audio and are new in the box.

These units are basically the boards in the $2,000 Xilica professional loudspeaker controllers. The can do FIR filters as well as more sophisticated combos of filters notches, etc since there is much more DSP horsepower. The can be built into products and are firmware upgradeable.

But, the main reason I picked them though is they sound really great. A speaker line I designed and used them (The Salagar S210 Symphony and S207 Sonnet; www.salagar.com if you want more info) in won many prestigious awards including Robb Report's product of the year for 2008. We just have surplus since we had to buy huge quantities and with the economy being what it is, we wanted to liquidate our excess supplies. I though it would be fun for DIYers since you can try different power supplies, etc.

It appears the Xilica is very similar to the DCX2496, except the Xilica has a Cirrus logic DAC rather than the AK4393. This is a better DAC, but sound is a slightly more relaxed than the AK part.

The analog parts appear to be the same. The real question is what part does Xilica use for the digital input receiver? The Behringer uses the cs8420 which has a bug and cannot accurately translate 24/96 data streams. Perhaps the Xilica uses a better digital input chip.

Two questions:

1) Does the Xilica have a digital input and if yes, what connections - TOS, SPDIF/RCA, AES?
2) What chip does the Xilica use as a digital input receiver.

This product looks promising and very interesting.

-David

The xilica XM 2040 does not have a digital input. We opted against an inexpensive solution in this application for two reasons; 1. The Salagar speaker did not have a need for digital input since it was designed to be compatible with the majority of preamps, etc and 2. to do it right in the context of a powered speaker its involved and costly with jitter reduction, volume control, etc. The nice thing about the Xilica is that its fairly easy to mod, (my engineer did op amp swaps and PS filter upgrades for example) and since it has no PS onboard, we tried different switching, linear and DC (battery) supplies. Also Xilica is an excellent company when it comes to supporting the products, they release firmware and software upgrades quite often.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.